HyMarkHigh

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Tuesday, 23 April 2013

Every Day Is Earth Day

Posted on 07:21 by Unknown
If you are a good steward of the land, every day is Earth Day.  Earth Day came and went and here I am bringing it up.  My little piece of  earth looks so good I even called in an aerial photographer to take pictures of it.

The picture above shows what you get for "free."  This is mucipal lime sludge being spread at no cost to the land owner, paid for by every one who pays their monthly water tap and useage free.  The picture below shows what I used, I paid every penny for it.

In the nine years we have lived here, this is the greenest most lush I have ever seen this land.  We have 100 acres of beautiful wheat here at the top of the hill near Martinsville.  We needed this in 2011 when it rained 25 inches in spring. Half of those acres were planted to wheat or cover crop.  The other half washed away.

What is Earth Day?  To me, Earth Day is leaving this planet better than we found it.  I am not sure that is possible because we don't work in God's time, we work in Man's time.  What we see as all wonderful is not so wonderful a few years down the road.

I think the best thing we have done is no-till.  There is definitely less soil in the rivers and the ocean thanks to no-till.  Many have tried no-till, if not most.  Probably over half of those farmers went back to some kind of tillage because they were not satisfied with the results.

Still, there was and is biology lacking.  The best thing I have done for my soil is to plant a cover crop every time I take a crop off.  That requires more labor and more plant food.  The more I put into it the more I get out.  Everything needs to be in some kind of balance so I soil test regularly, once per crop rotation cycle at least and tissue test every crop at fruiting.

The phrase "Soil Was Meant To Be Covered" is very applicable to me.  If I don't do it, Mother Nature will.  Mother Nature raises some beautiful covers like Purple Dead Nettle or Cressleaf Groundsel.  Since I am here for such a short time, I prefer the intensive way, that is me planting the cover crop I choose as I discover what I need.

Fertilizer is the same way.  It has greatly changed the way we farm.  The more I address my soil test, which I consider as good as any and the more I address my tissue test, the prettier, healthier, more profitable my crops become.

Does GMO fit into my success?  No.  Does glyphosate, the miracle weed killer fit into my scheme?  No.  I have learned what they offer does not give me success.  They will send me the wrong direction with chelation and increased pest resistance while needlessly driving up my seed costs.   I see this happening to so many other farmers..

Every day is Earth Day.  What have you done to preserve your little piece of earth?

Ed
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • So God Made An Ag Teacher
    "If God made a farmer, it couldn’t have been too long after that he realized he needed an Ag Teacher. He must have realized that he nee...
  • The Art Of Soil Sampling
    After this week of study, I thought about all the soil testing I have done and all I need to do.  I am going to compare the results of the M...
  • Insecticide, Bees and Trees
    A group of farmers are talking about a problem in the Cafe.  "Rent two farms from a a guy who owns a commercial apiary. He has requeste...
  • Sign of the Heart
    A neighbor and I were talking last week and he told me about mowing Canada Thistle in the sign of the heart and the weeds dying.  I looked i...
  • Sainfoin (Onobrychis viciifolia) - Healthy or Holy
    Ed's post about alfalfa just started a war on legumes! More seriously, it reminded me of how sainfoin was one of the predominant legume...
  • $106 Trillion
    Nearly half of our national debt is money that " just disappeared ."  Our national debt is around $17 trillion and 9 trillion is m...
  • Reversing farmer demographics
    Future Farmer of America Enrollment in ag schools has been up 28% since 2004 . While these new students are not all future farmers, there ar...
  • Two Good Men
    I need two good men today .  Anyone available?  All my part time help is busy doing other jobs.  Maybe 2 men and a truck are available. I ...
  • It's 2 AM Local Time
    And here I sit wide awake!  My biological clock is off by 4-5 hours.  It was worth it though.  I am using this special time of night to reme...
  • Wild Crop Cousins
    " Wild cousins of 32 crops including wheat and sugarcane could add as much in $196 billion of value at the farm-gate level by boosting...

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (257)
    • ►  September (20)
    • ►  August (31)
    • ►  July (31)
    • ►  June (30)
    • ►  May (31)
    • ▼  April (29)
      • Starting Farming
      • Nitrogen On Soybeans
      • Earthworms
      • Questions
      • Grandpa
      • Knee Surgery
      • Gossip
      • Every Day Is Earth Day
      • Old Pictures
      • Purple Cross With A Red Tail
      • Entropy
      • Breaking News In Corn Fertility
      • Sugar Email
      • How Much Did It Rain?
      • It's Been A Hard Week
      • Septic 101
      • The Power Of The Ringtone
      • Sugar
      • Why Farmer's DON'T Plant GMO
      • The Hairs On Our Head
      • Insecticide, Bees and Trees
      • Feeding Blueberries
      • Indy
      • Estate Planning
      • The Man In My Window
      • High Speed Rail
      • The Seed Is Worth More Than The Planter
      • Doctor Asked ME A Question
      • Proposed Ohio Fertilizer Law
    • ►  March (30)
    • ►  February (23)
    • ►  January (32)
  • ►  2012 (43)
    • ►  December (31)
    • ►  November (12)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile