HyMarkHigh

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Thursday, 18 April 2013

Sugar Email

Posted on 04:44 by Unknown
I posted a piece from NoTill farmer this week on sugar.  An email thread has since evolved from my colleagues.  Today's picture is my current screensaver to remind me I did good!

Question:  "This spring I have a company wanting to put a starter fert plot on my farm, I have never used starter. It will be NPK with molasses. I have heard of others using molasses.


The purpose being for a carbon source? Anyone care to explain how this works?"

Replies:  "Soluble sugars stimulate N fixation in soil by actinomycetes. This could also explain some soil benefit beyond rhizobia from incorporated clover leaves which are low in fiber and high in soluble sugars. Clover does some neat things to soil N economy.

Some also see improved stand ability/stalk strength from the sugars in say fertigation program.

Like in the rumen of the cow, soluble sugars are part of a balanced diet for soil microbes. Back in the day we observed that soluble sugars in the diet stimulated protozoal numbers/activity...not aware of this proven in soil microbes....but it would certainly be a benefit to soil nutrient recycling....the rumen and soil are so very similar!

As a side note...rumen Protozoa are like an alarm clock in the cow...their activity and numbers increase about 2 hrs before a meal. It may very well be that increased salivation in anticipation of a meal is the stimulus for Protozoa. They feed for about 4 hrs then nap until the next meal. Neat observations and u don't need a high magnification scope to see them!"

"Very well said.  I would imagine the company is trying to help the microbes break down the liquid fertilizer as John says, it turns into dry fertilizer as soon as it hits the soil. Think how little nutrient you are putting on with a little liquid compared to the 400 lb dry spread I am normally applying.


The amount of P needed to fix maximum corn rows around the cob is a minute amount and usually only happens in cold or very low P soils which I do plant into. I have used liquid and I have seen a color and health boost but no real yield boost. My yields come from a total soil program, not a little liquid with Molasses.

I stimulate actinomycetes with cover crops, calcium and lots of fertilizer. Build a great big cow rumen in a healthy soil and that tiny amount of liquid won't mount to a hill of beans.

I am not against it but I am not for it, either. Invest that same money in a little calcium and the other 16 nutrients on my soil each year and I get much greener, healthier, profitable crops.

Calcium is King AND Queen here."

I thought many of you would enjoy this conversation.

Ed Winkle

Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • So God Made An Ag Teacher
    "If God made a farmer, it couldn’t have been too long after that he realized he needed an Ag Teacher. He must have realized that he nee...
  • The Art Of Soil Sampling
    After this week of study, I thought about all the soil testing I have done and all I need to do.  I am going to compare the results of the M...
  • Insecticide, Bees and Trees
    A group of farmers are talking about a problem in the Cafe.  "Rent two farms from a a guy who owns a commercial apiary. He has requeste...
  • Sign of the Heart
    A neighbor and I were talking last week and he told me about mowing Canada Thistle in the sign of the heart and the weeds dying.  I looked i...
  • Sainfoin (Onobrychis viciifolia) - Healthy or Holy
    Ed's post about alfalfa just started a war on legumes! More seriously, it reminded me of how sainfoin was one of the predominant legume...
  • $106 Trillion
    Nearly half of our national debt is money that " just disappeared ."  Our national debt is around $17 trillion and 9 trillion is m...
  • Reversing farmer demographics
    Future Farmer of America Enrollment in ag schools has been up 28% since 2004 . While these new students are not all future farmers, there ar...
  • Two Good Men
    I need two good men today .  Anyone available?  All my part time help is busy doing other jobs.  Maybe 2 men and a truck are available. I ...
  • It's 2 AM Local Time
    And here I sit wide awake!  My biological clock is off by 4-5 hours.  It was worth it though.  I am using this special time of night to reme...
  • Wild Crop Cousins
    " Wild cousins of 32 crops including wheat and sugarcane could add as much in $196 billion of value at the farm-gate level by boosting...

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (257)
    • ►  September (20)
    • ►  August (31)
    • ►  July (31)
    • ►  June (30)
    • ►  May (31)
    • ▼  April (29)
      • Starting Farming
      • Nitrogen On Soybeans
      • Earthworms
      • Questions
      • Grandpa
      • Knee Surgery
      • Gossip
      • Every Day Is Earth Day
      • Old Pictures
      • Purple Cross With A Red Tail
      • Entropy
      • Breaking News In Corn Fertility
      • Sugar Email
      • How Much Did It Rain?
      • It's Been A Hard Week
      • Septic 101
      • The Power Of The Ringtone
      • Sugar
      • Why Farmer's DON'T Plant GMO
      • The Hairs On Our Head
      • Insecticide, Bees and Trees
      • Feeding Blueberries
      • Indy
      • Estate Planning
      • The Man In My Window
      • High Speed Rail
      • The Seed Is Worth More Than The Planter
      • Doctor Asked ME A Question
      • Proposed Ohio Fertilizer Law
    • ►  March (30)
    • ►  February (23)
    • ►  January (32)
  • ►  2012 (43)
    • ►  December (31)
    • ►  November (12)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile