HyMarkHigh

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Sunday, 28 April 2013

Earthworms

Posted on 13:12 by Unknown
Here is a pretty good picture of what our soybean stubble looks like with no-till corn.  The weeds and cover crop have been killed, the path has been swept by the row cleaner and we have a good stand of corn where there was well digested soybean residue.

Another question popped up on Crop Talk to me from a fellow who calls himself dieselade about my statement on a post.  I had stated under a picture that the earthworms would have eaten up all the residue that farmer was planting into.  Dieselade wondered what was I talking about?

It all came from this post.  If you read through it, it's a pretty good discussion about raising notill corn into stubble, especially soybean stubble.  This video called the smoke test, shows how much earthworms can aerate soil.

Continuous notill builds earthworm populations, especially if the rotation is high in soybean production like mine is.  We live in a very good region to produce soybeans of all kinds.  Soybeans yield well, make a good profit and are higher in oil and protein than soybeans produced in other regions of the world.

We learned several years ago here if you don't plant a cover crop into soybean stubble, the stubble won't hold because it is all eaten up by earthworms.  The residue I saw in the picture in the link above showed little earthworm activity on the existing mulch.  Here we would have nothing but earthworm mittens.  The mulch would be gone.

I enjoy participating in these questions.  If you have topics to discuss, please comment or email me.

Thanks,

Ed Winkle
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • So God Made An Ag Teacher
    "If God made a farmer, it couldn’t have been too long after that he realized he needed an Ag Teacher. He must have realized that he nee...
  • The Art Of Soil Sampling
    After this week of study, I thought about all the soil testing I have done and all I need to do.  I am going to compare the results of the M...
  • Insecticide, Bees and Trees
    A group of farmers are talking about a problem in the Cafe.  "Rent two farms from a a guy who owns a commercial apiary. He has requeste...
  • Sign of the Heart
    A neighbor and I were talking last week and he told me about mowing Canada Thistle in the sign of the heart and the weeds dying.  I looked i...
  • Sainfoin (Onobrychis viciifolia) - Healthy or Holy
    Ed's post about alfalfa just started a war on legumes! More seriously, it reminded me of how sainfoin was one of the predominant legume...
  • $106 Trillion
    Nearly half of our national debt is money that " just disappeared ."  Our national debt is around $17 trillion and 9 trillion is m...
  • Reversing farmer demographics
    Future Farmer of America Enrollment in ag schools has been up 28% since 2004 . While these new students are not all future farmers, there ar...
  • Two Good Men
    I need two good men today .  Anyone available?  All my part time help is busy doing other jobs.  Maybe 2 men and a truck are available. I ...
  • It's 2 AM Local Time
    And here I sit wide awake!  My biological clock is off by 4-5 hours.  It was worth it though.  I am using this special time of night to reme...
  • Wild Crop Cousins
    " Wild cousins of 32 crops including wheat and sugarcane could add as much in $196 billion of value at the farm-gate level by boosting...

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (257)
    • ►  September (20)
    • ►  August (31)
    • ►  July (31)
    • ►  June (30)
    • ►  May (31)
    • ▼  April (29)
      • Starting Farming
      • Nitrogen On Soybeans
      • Earthworms
      • Questions
      • Grandpa
      • Knee Surgery
      • Gossip
      • Every Day Is Earth Day
      • Old Pictures
      • Purple Cross With A Red Tail
      • Entropy
      • Breaking News In Corn Fertility
      • Sugar Email
      • How Much Did It Rain?
      • It's Been A Hard Week
      • Septic 101
      • The Power Of The Ringtone
      • Sugar
      • Why Farmer's DON'T Plant GMO
      • The Hairs On Our Head
      • Insecticide, Bees and Trees
      • Feeding Blueberries
      • Indy
      • Estate Planning
      • The Man In My Window
      • High Speed Rail
      • The Seed Is Worth More Than The Planter
      • Doctor Asked ME A Question
      • Proposed Ohio Fertilizer Law
    • ►  March (30)
    • ►  February (23)
    • ►  January (32)
  • ►  2012 (43)
    • ►  December (31)
    • ►  November (12)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile