HyMarkHigh

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Tuesday, 9 April 2013

Insecticide, Bees and Trees

Posted on 09:44 by Unknown
A group of farmers are talking about a problem in the Cafe.  "Rent two farms from a a guy who owns a commercial apiary. He has requested that if I wish to continue to rent these farms that he has bee hives on I would need to address the exhaust of my corn planter vac.

So does anyone have pics, or any practical idea's for vac deflectors for a 16 row 1250 Case IH planter that would work without effecting the vac performance. Just looking for a solution not an debate on the issue, I just to need to address my neighbourly relations."

A friend in NW Ohio mentioned this website.  Take a look at it.  Obviously it is funded by the makers of those insecticides but these insecticides are legal according to label directions in many if not most countries.  They are very important on crop seedling emergence to protect them from predators.

Bee colony collapse has been blamed on many things.  First there was the Varohha Mites, then the African killer bees, and then everything known to man killing our honeybees, needed for pollination of plants.

I liked Still Learning's answer, "A solution reducing the drift of pesticide dust from planters is required in many countries in Europe.

Technically it is quite straight forward to solve the problem on a vacuum planter. Connect a large hose to the outlet of the fan. This hose ends with an "inverted funnel" close to the ground. This means that dust (including some chemicals from the seed treatment) will exit from the machine close to the ground with a low airspeed and thereby most of the particles will stay on the ground. Maybe this is good for the tractor driver too, but that's another topic.

What do you think?

Ed



Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • So God Made An Ag Teacher
    "If God made a farmer, it couldn’t have been too long after that he realized he needed an Ag Teacher. He must have realized that he nee...
  • The Art Of Soil Sampling
    After this week of study, I thought about all the soil testing I have done and all I need to do.  I am going to compare the results of the M...
  • Insecticide, Bees and Trees
    A group of farmers are talking about a problem in the Cafe.  "Rent two farms from a a guy who owns a commercial apiary. He has requeste...
  • Sign of the Heart
    A neighbor and I were talking last week and he told me about mowing Canada Thistle in the sign of the heart and the weeds dying.  I looked i...
  • Sainfoin (Onobrychis viciifolia) - Healthy or Holy
    Ed's post about alfalfa just started a war on legumes! More seriously, it reminded me of how sainfoin was one of the predominant legume...
  • $106 Trillion
    Nearly half of our national debt is money that " just disappeared ."  Our national debt is around $17 trillion and 9 trillion is m...
  • Reversing farmer demographics
    Future Farmer of America Enrollment in ag schools has been up 28% since 2004 . While these new students are not all future farmers, there ar...
  • Two Good Men
    I need two good men today .  Anyone available?  All my part time help is busy doing other jobs.  Maybe 2 men and a truck are available. I ...
  • It's 2 AM Local Time
    And here I sit wide awake!  My biological clock is off by 4-5 hours.  It was worth it though.  I am using this special time of night to reme...
  • Wild Crop Cousins
    " Wild cousins of 32 crops including wheat and sugarcane could add as much in $196 billion of value at the farm-gate level by boosting...

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (257)
    • ►  September (20)
    • ►  August (31)
    • ►  July (31)
    • ►  June (30)
    • ►  May (31)
    • ▼  April (29)
      • Starting Farming
      • Nitrogen On Soybeans
      • Earthworms
      • Questions
      • Grandpa
      • Knee Surgery
      • Gossip
      • Every Day Is Earth Day
      • Old Pictures
      • Purple Cross With A Red Tail
      • Entropy
      • Breaking News In Corn Fertility
      • Sugar Email
      • How Much Did It Rain?
      • It's Been A Hard Week
      • Septic 101
      • The Power Of The Ringtone
      • Sugar
      • Why Farmer's DON'T Plant GMO
      • The Hairs On Our Head
      • Insecticide, Bees and Trees
      • Feeding Blueberries
      • Indy
      • Estate Planning
      • The Man In My Window
      • High Speed Rail
      • The Seed Is Worth More Than The Planter
      • Doctor Asked ME A Question
      • Proposed Ohio Fertilizer Law
    • ►  March (30)
    • ►  February (23)
    • ►  January (32)
  • ►  2012 (43)
    • ►  December (31)
    • ►  November (12)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile