HyMarkHigh

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Sunday, 21 April 2013

Purple Cross With A Red Tail

Posted on 09:19 by Unknown
I awoke in time this morning to catch a beautiful purple cross with a red tail in the sky right out my north window.  I suppose two jet trails crossed and caught the moisture in the sky and then the sun started to come up and lit it up in a brilliant red for several minutes.  LuAnn was able to see it too.  I have never seen anything quite like it and it answered my prayers this week.

What are you doing this beautiful but cold Sunday morning?  It isn't time to plant here but the wheat has all been fertilized and looks excellent.  More farmers are fearing the loss of their wheat crop due to the cold temperatures.  We have a freeze warning here and it is 33 degrees at our house at sunrise.

My friend HP in Illinois showed his wheat top dressing buggy.  I think it is really neat, take a look.  It's a good thread too about spreading dry fertilizer as topdress on wheat.  A farmer could spread all his nitrogen and other needed fertilizers this way or fill in any skips or wet spots that got missed or banded improperly and really boost his yield.  I have told you the only time I broke 100 bushels, sad to say, was in 1985 when my FFA students and I spread ammonia nitrate in the spreader middles with a Cyclone seeder.  I intend to do a little more of that too my wheat soon though it looks evenly spread.

Speaking of ammonia nitrate, what caused that terrible explosion at that fertilizer plant in West, Texas?  We really need to know so we make sure that never happens again.  Ammonia nitrate is hard enough to source now and we don't need any more problems.  Those people and others have suffered enough already.  There are many threads on NAT already.

We got to see Brynn's Kindergarten program this week and Liam's second grade program Friday night.  Brynn made the best mother duck you ever saw and Liam spoke out in that beautiful God given voice of his over the microphone.  He said it scared him to hear his voice bounce off the wooden walls of that room.

The best part was when we got to Cleveland and was there awhile, just chatting with Becky and Liam.  Finn woke up from his nap, came down the stairs and opened the door.  He saw me and I grinned at him and he grinned at me and ran at with such impact it nearly knocked me over.  Wish we had a picture of that, let alone a movie clip!

Have a great Sunday and a good week!

Ed
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • So God Made An Ag Teacher
    "If God made a farmer, it couldn’t have been too long after that he realized he needed an Ag Teacher. He must have realized that he nee...
  • The Art Of Soil Sampling
    After this week of study, I thought about all the soil testing I have done and all I need to do.  I am going to compare the results of the M...
  • Insecticide, Bees and Trees
    A group of farmers are talking about a problem in the Cafe.  "Rent two farms from a a guy who owns a commercial apiary. He has requeste...
  • Sign of the Heart
    A neighbor and I were talking last week and he told me about mowing Canada Thistle in the sign of the heart and the weeds dying.  I looked i...
  • Sainfoin (Onobrychis viciifolia) - Healthy or Holy
    Ed's post about alfalfa just started a war on legumes! More seriously, it reminded me of how sainfoin was one of the predominant legume...
  • $106 Trillion
    Nearly half of our national debt is money that " just disappeared ."  Our national debt is around $17 trillion and 9 trillion is m...
  • Reversing farmer demographics
    Future Farmer of America Enrollment in ag schools has been up 28% since 2004 . While these new students are not all future farmers, there ar...
  • Two Good Men
    I need two good men today .  Anyone available?  All my part time help is busy doing other jobs.  Maybe 2 men and a truck are available. I ...
  • It's 2 AM Local Time
    And here I sit wide awake!  My biological clock is off by 4-5 hours.  It was worth it though.  I am using this special time of night to reme...
  • Wild Crop Cousins
    " Wild cousins of 32 crops including wheat and sugarcane could add as much in $196 billion of value at the farm-gate level by boosting...

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (257)
    • ►  September (20)
    • ►  August (31)
    • ►  July (31)
    • ►  June (30)
    • ►  May (31)
    • ▼  April (29)
      • Starting Farming
      • Nitrogen On Soybeans
      • Earthworms
      • Questions
      • Grandpa
      • Knee Surgery
      • Gossip
      • Every Day Is Earth Day
      • Old Pictures
      • Purple Cross With A Red Tail
      • Entropy
      • Breaking News In Corn Fertility
      • Sugar Email
      • How Much Did It Rain?
      • It's Been A Hard Week
      • Septic 101
      • The Power Of The Ringtone
      • Sugar
      • Why Farmer's DON'T Plant GMO
      • The Hairs On Our Head
      • Insecticide, Bees and Trees
      • Feeding Blueberries
      • Indy
      • Estate Planning
      • The Man In My Window
      • High Speed Rail
      • The Seed Is Worth More Than The Planter
      • Doctor Asked ME A Question
      • Proposed Ohio Fertilizer Law
    • ►  March (30)
    • ►  February (23)
    • ►  January (32)
  • ►  2012 (43)
    • ►  December (31)
    • ►  November (12)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile