HyMarkHigh

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Friday, 5 April 2013

The Man In My Window

Posted on 03:20 by Unknown
We put new windows in our main bedroom and I just had to take this picture.  "The man in my window."  It turns out he has tried his hand at agriculture, too, and found out he can make more money installing windows.

How do we find our careers?  How do we pay the bills?  We've all got a story, I am sure.  I wanted to be a "county agent" like Jim Wells or Al Rhonemus but the ag teaching job came up at Blanchester 42 years ago and I interviewed for it.  I got that job, and the rest is history as they say.

I just wanted to farm.  I just didn't have the guts or connections to do that.  I had a degree and an opportunity.  I could have built a farm that would sustain itself while teaching but never had the support to plan and do that.  I guess I just didn't want it bad enough.  I see young farmers asking every day, how do I start?

It is not easy to start and run a successful business.  It takes a lot of character traits, some of which I am lacking.  You need a solid partner who has the traits you lack.  You must be able to get along and make good business decisions.  Usually that is a woman for a businessman and you know the business is only as good as that woman.  You can paint that anyway you want but it takes two for tango, at least for me.

I have seen many bachelor farmers do very well but I wouldn't trade my family for what they have.  Family is important to me and surely enters into the business.  You can paint that a lot of ways, too.

So what do you see in your window today?  A person who can farm and grow things or a dedicated worker who needs direction and discipline?  I think I was the latter guy in my early years and many young men are the same way.

That's where mentors come in.  That was a popular blog but what's up with my Planter Is Worth More Than My Seed blog?  Did that go viral?  It has over 850 views!  I have never had a blog get that many and none ever so fast!

Have a great day, it's a good day in southern Ohio to take out fence rows and cut up trees.

Ed
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • So God Made An Ag Teacher
    "If God made a farmer, it couldn’t have been too long after that he realized he needed an Ag Teacher. He must have realized that he nee...
  • The Art Of Soil Sampling
    After this week of study, I thought about all the soil testing I have done and all I need to do.  I am going to compare the results of the M...
  • Insecticide, Bees and Trees
    A group of farmers are talking about a problem in the Cafe.  "Rent two farms from a a guy who owns a commercial apiary. He has requeste...
  • Sign of the Heart
    A neighbor and I were talking last week and he told me about mowing Canada Thistle in the sign of the heart and the weeds dying.  I looked i...
  • Calcium Nitrate
    I am getting tons of questions on calcium nitrate and structured water.  Today we will focus on calcium nitrate. " Calcium nitrate , al...
  • China Buys Smitfield
    "(Reuters) - China's Shuanghui International plans to buy Smithfield Foods Inc (SFD.N) for $4.7 billion to feed a growing Chinese ...
  • Sainfoin (Onobrychis viciifolia) - Healthy or Holy
    Ed's post about alfalfa just started a war on legumes! More seriously, it reminded me of how sainfoin was one of the predominant legume...
  • Reversing farmer demographics
    Future Farmer of America Enrollment in ag schools has been up 28% since 2004 . While these new students are not all future farmers, there ar...
  • Questions
    It's getting late to start planting and farmers have questions .  This the best notill corn crop I ever grew but I have had others that...
  • 98 Years
    Our dad was born 98 years ago today!  That seems like a " long, long time ago, but I can still remember" 50 years ago like it was ...

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (257)
    • ►  September (20)
    • ►  August (31)
    • ►  July (31)
    • ►  June (30)
    • ►  May (31)
    • ▼  April (29)
      • Starting Farming
      • Nitrogen On Soybeans
      • Earthworms
      • Questions
      • Grandpa
      • Knee Surgery
      • Gossip
      • Every Day Is Earth Day
      • Old Pictures
      • Purple Cross With A Red Tail
      • Entropy
      • Breaking News In Corn Fertility
      • Sugar Email
      • How Much Did It Rain?
      • It's Been A Hard Week
      • Septic 101
      • The Power Of The Ringtone
      • Sugar
      • Why Farmer's DON'T Plant GMO
      • The Hairs On Our Head
      • Insecticide, Bees and Trees
      • Feeding Blueberries
      • Indy
      • Estate Planning
      • The Man In My Window
      • High Speed Rail
      • The Seed Is Worth More Than The Planter
      • Doctor Asked ME A Question
      • Proposed Ohio Fertilizer Law
    • ►  March (30)
    • ►  February (23)
    • ►  January (32)
  • ►  2012 (43)
    • ►  December (31)
    • ►  November (12)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile