HyMarkHigh

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Wednesday, 10 July 2013

So God Made An Ag Teacher

Posted on 07:58 by Unknown
"If God made a farmer, it couldn’t have been too long after that he realized he needed an Ag Teacher.

He must have realized that he needed someone that could teach animal science digestion principles, read financial balance sheets, teach vegetative plant cuttings and differentiate the instruction for each of his students – all in a day’s work."  (from Kelly Rivard's post on The Face of Agriculture Education)

I was watching Ag Biz Weekly by Orion Samuelson and Max Armstrong and right at the end of the July 4 show, Orion shared a speech he gave for the Illinois Association of the National FFA Organization.  I listened closely and remembered all the things I had done as an ag teacher and I felt very good about it.

Watching two grand daughters show their pigs at the Clinton County Fair this week reminded me of all the pigs my sister and I raised and showed.  I remembered all of the students, sometimes over 30 in one year, I taught how to raise and show a pig as a part of the Supervised Agricultural Experience.  I remembered the joys and challenges of helping my own three children learn the same thing.

Teaching agricultural education is the most challenging and rewarding endeavor I've ever undertaken.  It has given me a retirement where I've been able to do what I wanted to in the first place and that is to farm.  Teaching ag is a lot more than sows, cows, and plows, it's helping kids grow up with a set of skills and maturity most parents would envy for their kids.

I am proud to be an ag teacher.  I am more proud our oldest son is even a better ag teacher than I was.  That is what life is all about; eaching your potential in a positive, moral, grown up way.

Hat's off to agricultural education and the dear ag teachers that make it possible.

"My thoughts" on HyMark Highspots, July 2013.

Ed Winkle
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • So God Made An Ag Teacher
    "If God made a farmer, it couldn’t have been too long after that he realized he needed an Ag Teacher. He must have realized that he nee...
  • The Art Of Soil Sampling
    After this week of study, I thought about all the soil testing I have done and all I need to do.  I am going to compare the results of the M...
  • Insecticide, Bees and Trees
    A group of farmers are talking about a problem in the Cafe.  "Rent two farms from a a guy who owns a commercial apiary. He has requeste...
  • Sign of the Heart
    A neighbor and I were talking last week and he told me about mowing Canada Thistle in the sign of the heart and the weeds dying.  I looked i...
  • Sainfoin (Onobrychis viciifolia) - Healthy or Holy
    Ed's post about alfalfa just started a war on legumes! More seriously, it reminded me of how sainfoin was one of the predominant legume...
  • $106 Trillion
    Nearly half of our national debt is money that " just disappeared ."  Our national debt is around $17 trillion and 9 trillion is m...
  • Reversing farmer demographics
    Future Farmer of America Enrollment in ag schools has been up 28% since 2004 . While these new students are not all future farmers, there ar...
  • Two Good Men
    I need two good men today .  Anyone available?  All my part time help is busy doing other jobs.  Maybe 2 men and a truck are available. I ...
  • It's 2 AM Local Time
    And here I sit wide awake!  My biological clock is off by 4-5 hours.  It was worth it though.  I am using this special time of night to reme...
  • Wild Crop Cousins
    " Wild cousins of 32 crops including wheat and sugarcane could add as much in $196 billion of value at the farm-gate level by boosting...

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (257)
    • ►  September (20)
    • ►  August (31)
    • ▼  July (31)
      • Sign of the Heart
      • Scouting
      • Support Your County Fair
      • Weed Killers and Depression
      • Souped Up Farm Tractors
      • Wild Crop Cousins
      • Organic Religion
      • Sick Corn
      • Discover the Cover
      • Critical Stage
      • Your Favorite Blog Of Mine?
      • 130 MPH Lawn Mower
      • Four Friends
      • Farm Kings
      • My Farmer Father
      • Test That SAP!
      • When The Wind Blows
      • Catch Me!
      • Fertilizer
      • Who Will Farm?
      • Flattened Corn
      • So God Made An Ag Teacher
      • 2013
      • Refuge Corn Twice As Tall
      • Too Hard To Watch
      • Fracking
      • Wildlife
      • Nine Month Baby
      • Fall Applied Nitrogen
      • 98 Years
      • Geocache
    • ►  June (30)
    • ►  May (31)
    • ►  April (29)
    • ►  March (30)
    • ►  February (23)
    • ►  January (32)
  • ►  2012 (43)
    • ►  December (31)
    • ►  November (12)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile