HyMarkHigh

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Saturday, 16 February 2013

Lentils for Lent, Crème for Carême

Posted on 09:48 by Unknown
Tofu burger, fries and pop for Lent
Hard to remember where these names come from today ('slow' and 'forty' respectively), but with Lent fasting period starting earlier this Ash Wednesday, it seemed fitting to find non-meat food names that sound like Lent.  Some Germanic, Nordic or Eastern European languages have it easier, referring to this period simply as fasting time or Easter fasting. The same questions will come back later, with the rather Pagan name of Easter, or some word based on the Greek and Latin Pascha, a variation of Exodus and Leviticus' Passover, that has given us names such as Pascale or Pascual.

Why should I care, say you? Well, it does not take a Christian to enjoy Mardi Gras and this early form of gay pride known as the Carnival parade. ^-^ But I like Lent, fasting at the end of winter is a good way to purge oneself from all these toxins accumulated in the cold months, when we eat less fresh produce (or used to, before Chilean imports and hot houses) and take less physical activities. I also think that with millions of families eating meat just a few times a year, Lent is mostly a rich white man's problem, as the saying goes.

Personally, I don't follow Lent, as I already naturally don't eat much meat. On a scale from 1 to 5, what do you do for Lent?

1) No change of diet
2) Reduce "red meat"
3) Reduce all meats
4) Go vegetarian
5) Go vegan

Chimel.
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • So God Made An Ag Teacher
    "If God made a farmer, it couldn’t have been too long after that he realized he needed an Ag Teacher. He must have realized that he nee...
  • The Art Of Soil Sampling
    After this week of study, I thought about all the soil testing I have done and all I need to do.  I am going to compare the results of the M...
  • Insecticide, Bees and Trees
    A group of farmers are talking about a problem in the Cafe.  "Rent two farms from a a guy who owns a commercial apiary. He has requeste...
  • Sign of the Heart
    A neighbor and I were talking last week and he told me about mowing Canada Thistle in the sign of the heart and the weeds dying.  I looked i...
  • Sainfoin (Onobrychis viciifolia) - Healthy or Holy
    Ed's post about alfalfa just started a war on legumes! More seriously, it reminded me of how sainfoin was one of the predominant legume...
  • $106 Trillion
    Nearly half of our national debt is money that " just disappeared ."  Our national debt is around $17 trillion and 9 trillion is m...
  • Reversing farmer demographics
    Future Farmer of America Enrollment in ag schools has been up 28% since 2004 . While these new students are not all future farmers, there ar...
  • Two Good Men
    I need two good men today .  Anyone available?  All my part time help is busy doing other jobs.  Maybe 2 men and a truck are available. I ...
  • It's 2 AM Local Time
    And here I sit wide awake!  My biological clock is off by 4-5 hours.  It was worth it though.  I am using this special time of night to reme...
  • Wild Crop Cousins
    " Wild cousins of 32 crops including wheat and sugarcane could add as much in $196 billion of value at the farm-gate level by boosting...

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (257)
    • ►  September (20)
    • ►  August (31)
    • ►  July (31)
    • ►  June (30)
    • ►  May (31)
    • ►  April (29)
    • ►  March (30)
    • ▼  February (23)
      • This Is Interesting
      • No DSL
      • "Won't Be Missed"
      • What Is New?
      • Thankful
      • Walking Corn Fields in January
      • Vacation By Committee
      • It's 2 AM Local Time
      • Running Behind
      • Alignment Of The Stars
      • Around The World in 30 Days!
      • Perth
      • Lentils for Lent, Crème for Carême
      • Climate Change by the USDA
      • World Wide Wheat
      • European agriculture subsidies
      • Reversing farmer demographics
      • Humans smell like an old Beatles record
      • USDA 2013 crop returns
      • Demolition
      • Fracking and farming
      • AM Radio
      • Wikipedia and answers.com
    • ►  January (32)
  • ►  2012 (43)
    • ►  December (31)
    • ►  November (12)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile