HyMarkHigh

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Tuesday, 12 February 2013

World Wide Wheat

Posted on 01:06 by Unknown

A few weeks ago, a paper published in Nature revealed some of the hidden secrets of wheat's DNA and origins.

I don't know how they did it, because a single cell of a grain of wheat contains 17 billion DNA base pairs, 5 times more than in a Sumo wrestler, with each chromosome replicated 6 times, compared to only 2 in humans, wheat is a wonder plant in many ways.

Talking about wonders, I grew some Miracle wheat (Egyptian wheat, Pharaoh's wheat, Osiris wheat) when I was a teenager. This is probably what this Bible wheat drawing is trying to picture. When I received the precious seeds, it was explained to me that these seeds were discovered in the pyramids and that their precise location in the center of the pyramids had preserved the germs' vitality for 4,000 years! Of course, I learned later that it was just the plain wheat (triticum turgidum) grown in Egypt at the time (and still partially present today), although it was true that it was discovered by the French egyptologists of the 19th century and introduced to Europe at that time.
A variety known as Alaska wheat was later grown in the U.S.






This wheat belongs to the poulard family (from the French name for the castrated fattened chicken, as the grain looks like one of these fat chickens). Many of these wheats also have a strong tall straw, some almost reaching 6 feet (1.75 m). The particularity of this Egyptian wheat is that in rich soil, it grows several stems, with each stem having a head of several spikes.

No doubt the multiple spikes helped with the "Miracle" name, although of course yield does not compare with modern wheats.

Some of the ancient wheats have a gluten that is different from modern wheats', it is apparently more delicate and require more know-how from bread bakers, compared to the modern varieties whose elastic gluten is more suitable to mechanical kneading. This difference is what some authors say is responsible for the recent obesity and wheat allergies.

Chimel.

Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • So God Made An Ag Teacher
    "If God made a farmer, it couldn’t have been too long after that he realized he needed an Ag Teacher. He must have realized that he nee...
  • The Art Of Soil Sampling
    After this week of study, I thought about all the soil testing I have done and all I need to do.  I am going to compare the results of the M...
  • Insecticide, Bees and Trees
    A group of farmers are talking about a problem in the Cafe.  "Rent two farms from a a guy who owns a commercial apiary. He has requeste...
  • Sign of the Heart
    A neighbor and I were talking last week and he told me about mowing Canada Thistle in the sign of the heart and the weeds dying.  I looked i...
  • Sainfoin (Onobrychis viciifolia) - Healthy or Holy
    Ed's post about alfalfa just started a war on legumes! More seriously, it reminded me of how sainfoin was one of the predominant legume...
  • $106 Trillion
    Nearly half of our national debt is money that " just disappeared ."  Our national debt is around $17 trillion and 9 trillion is m...
  • Reversing farmer demographics
    Future Farmer of America Enrollment in ag schools has been up 28% since 2004 . While these new students are not all future farmers, there ar...
  • Two Good Men
    I need two good men today .  Anyone available?  All my part time help is busy doing other jobs.  Maybe 2 men and a truck are available. I ...
  • It's 2 AM Local Time
    And here I sit wide awake!  My biological clock is off by 4-5 hours.  It was worth it though.  I am using this special time of night to reme...
  • Wild Crop Cousins
    " Wild cousins of 32 crops including wheat and sugarcane could add as much in $196 billion of value at the farm-gate level by boosting...

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (257)
    • ►  September (20)
    • ►  August (31)
    • ►  July (31)
    • ►  June (30)
    • ►  May (31)
    • ►  April (29)
    • ►  March (30)
    • ▼  February (23)
      • This Is Interesting
      • No DSL
      • "Won't Be Missed"
      • What Is New?
      • Thankful
      • Walking Corn Fields in January
      • Vacation By Committee
      • It's 2 AM Local Time
      • Running Behind
      • Alignment Of The Stars
      • Around The World in 30 Days!
      • Perth
      • Lentils for Lent, Crème for Carême
      • Climate Change by the USDA
      • World Wide Wheat
      • European agriculture subsidies
      • Reversing farmer demographics
      • Humans smell like an old Beatles record
      • USDA 2013 crop returns
      • Demolition
      • Fracking and farming
      • AM Radio
      • Wikipedia and answers.com
    • ►  January (32)
  • ►  2012 (43)
    • ►  December (31)
    • ►  November (12)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile