HyMarkHigh

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Monday, 25 March 2013

Snow, Poor Man's Fertilizer

Posted on 10:17 by Unknown
LuAnn and I were watching the NCAA March Madness this afternoon and I said our wheat looks better with every snow.  (crystals, structure, remember?)  She was doing something else but blurted out, snow is poor man's nitrogen.  That triggered this blog.

One writer estimates 2-12 lbs. of nitrogen per acre with a snow or rainfall.  I am thinking the snowflakes pick up more nitrogen than raindrops but they are formed very similarly in the atmosphere.  I can't find any data to back up my thinking.  It just makes sense that snowflakes are more crystalline in structure and combine with chemicals or fertilizer easier.

That is part of nature.  I may get more, I may get less.  How do I figure what I have and put on the right amount for it?  I have seen good results from Green Seeker but that technology has not caught on yet, at least not here.

How can I feed my wheat the best I can with the dollars I have?  The first recipe I gave you intrigues me.  I have never used that system.  I have never used that blend of fertilizer and humate.  I have to be very devoted to get it and spread it on my wheat.  It is not something I can buy from my dealer, though I can come somewhat close.

Somewhat may not be good enough.  Typically, a farmer adds 50-100 lbs of actual nitrogen to his wheat.  Some, many add sulfur.  We tend to over nitrate crops and not feed enough of anything else.

I have had good success adding 100 lbs. AMS, 100 lbs urea.  If you know your soil test or even have a tissue test you need more than that.  We need to feed the wheat that has wintered over, picking up whatever it can.

Add 100 lbs of MAP or DAP if your soil test is as low as mine is, and many are, and provide at least 1 lb. of actual Boron.  If you have soil and/or tissue tested, you probably need more than that to raise a really good crop.

That is my thinking after a few days of reading these posts and emails, what is yours?

Thanks,

Ed Winkle

Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • So God Made An Ag Teacher
    "If God made a farmer, it couldn’t have been too long after that he realized he needed an Ag Teacher. He must have realized that he nee...
  • The Art Of Soil Sampling
    After this week of study, I thought about all the soil testing I have done and all I need to do.  I am going to compare the results of the M...
  • Insecticide, Bees and Trees
    A group of farmers are talking about a problem in the Cafe.  "Rent two farms from a a guy who owns a commercial apiary. He has requeste...
  • Sign of the Heart
    A neighbor and I were talking last week and he told me about mowing Canada Thistle in the sign of the heart and the weeds dying.  I looked i...
  • Sainfoin (Onobrychis viciifolia) - Healthy or Holy
    Ed's post about alfalfa just started a war on legumes! More seriously, it reminded me of how sainfoin was one of the predominant legume...
  • $106 Trillion
    Nearly half of our national debt is money that " just disappeared ."  Our national debt is around $17 trillion and 9 trillion is m...
  • Reversing farmer demographics
    Future Farmer of America Enrollment in ag schools has been up 28% since 2004 . While these new students are not all future farmers, there ar...
  • Two Good Men
    I need two good men today .  Anyone available?  All my part time help is busy doing other jobs.  Maybe 2 men and a truck are available. I ...
  • It's 2 AM Local Time
    And here I sit wide awake!  My biological clock is off by 4-5 hours.  It was worth it though.  I am using this special time of night to reme...
  • Wild Crop Cousins
    " Wild cousins of 32 crops including wheat and sugarcane could add as much in $196 billion of value at the farm-gate level by boosting...

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (257)
    • ►  September (20)
    • ►  August (31)
    • ►  July (31)
    • ►  June (30)
    • ►  May (31)
    • ►  April (29)
    • ▼  March (30)
      • Farmland Sale Socioeconomics
      • Tax Management
      • Miltary Protection Acts on Good Friday
      • Mosanto Protection Act
      • Mentors
      • MRI
      • Snow, Poor Man's Fertilizer
      • Will The Wheat Freeze?
      • Sable Ticked The Birds Off
      • Who Will Be My 100th Follower?
      • Calcium Nitrate
      • 83 Degrees A Year Ago
      • Table Of Saint Joseph
      • Spring Must Be Close
      • The Next Advancement in Corn Yield?
      • The Mustard Seed
      • Buyer's Remorse Blues
      • Magnesium
      • Ca, N, S
      • Soil Rhizobium Counts
      • Bible Bee
      • Kitchen Sink Study
      • My Email Warmed Up
      • The Next Big Thing
      • Those Crystals!
      • High Yield Soybeans
      • Heavy Frost
      • Happiness
      • WOSU Became WVSG
      • Zoo
    • ►  February (23)
    • ►  January (32)
  • ►  2012 (43)
    • ►  December (31)
    • ►  November (12)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile