HyMarkHigh

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Saturday, 9 March 2013

Kitchen Sink Study

Posted on 06:10 by Unknown
This week in crop talk a fellow posted the link the Minnesota United Soybean Board's Kitchen Sink Study results.  In another thread, Stockholm asked if I believed in that study?

"I have looked over it but not in depth. Maybe you can tell me more? I do respect the work of Palle Pedersen, PhD. Perhaps I take a different view or method of "high inputs?"


I don't see how they didn't get better results for one thing. That has not been my experience. The methods they used to test generates more income than the method costs for me, in general.

I guess my talk at NNTC supports the high inputs and would guide the listener that way. I would be happy to share it with you and send you the slides that I showed with the talk.

For one thing, they didn't test calcium, nitrate and sulfur in the way I see it being used on high yield farms. Another thing, soybean inoculant is a no--brainer every place I've seen it used, even beans after beans. It seems they validate the methods that are generating the typical 40 bu beans raised in America and what was last year's yield, 36? 70 bu was the high yield beans here last year and I saw 100 bu beans in the drought by using the high yield methods I talked about at NNTC.

A big thing is they don't study the effect of high yield beans on the next crop. I always have better corn, wheat and cover crops that lead to better crops after high yield beans. I have seen double inoculated soybeans vs typical inoculation vs no inoculation in and wheat planted after it yields in that order, highest on double inoculated beans as one example.

Maybe you are right, maybe the study is a waste compared to the way I raise soybeans or think they should be raised.

Soybeans are the number one gross and net producing crop for me the past nine years but my highest was 191 bu corn last year sold at $8.30. I left 60 bu on the table and should have been able to raise 250 bu corn but I made some mistakes and I know what they are. That farm produced 80 bu wheat and 52 bu double crop soybeans the year before, all about above the local or county average.

I don't want to produce lower yielding beans if the money I spend generates more than it costs."

What did I miss?  Have you read the study?  Maybe you can see more in it than I did.  Maybe I look at soybeans in a different realm than most researchers do.  I do know that Palle Pederesen has studied soybeans in Iowa as much as anyone but I don't think he has been to the farms I learn from.

Maybe we are on two different pages.

Ed



Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • So God Made An Ag Teacher
    "If God made a farmer, it couldn’t have been too long after that he realized he needed an Ag Teacher. He must have realized that he nee...
  • The Art Of Soil Sampling
    After this week of study, I thought about all the soil testing I have done and all I need to do.  I am going to compare the results of the M...
  • Insecticide, Bees and Trees
    A group of farmers are talking about a problem in the Cafe.  "Rent two farms from a a guy who owns a commercial apiary. He has requeste...
  • Sign of the Heart
    A neighbor and I were talking last week and he told me about mowing Canada Thistle in the sign of the heart and the weeds dying.  I looked i...
  • Sainfoin (Onobrychis viciifolia) - Healthy or Holy
    Ed's post about alfalfa just started a war on legumes! More seriously, it reminded me of how sainfoin was one of the predominant legume...
  • $106 Trillion
    Nearly half of our national debt is money that " just disappeared ."  Our national debt is around $17 trillion and 9 trillion is m...
  • Reversing farmer demographics
    Future Farmer of America Enrollment in ag schools has been up 28% since 2004 . While these new students are not all future farmers, there ar...
  • Two Good Men
    I need two good men today .  Anyone available?  All my part time help is busy doing other jobs.  Maybe 2 men and a truck are available. I ...
  • It's 2 AM Local Time
    And here I sit wide awake!  My biological clock is off by 4-5 hours.  It was worth it though.  I am using this special time of night to reme...
  • Wild Crop Cousins
    " Wild cousins of 32 crops including wheat and sugarcane could add as much in $196 billion of value at the farm-gate level by boosting...

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (257)
    • ►  September (20)
    • ►  August (31)
    • ►  July (31)
    • ►  June (30)
    • ►  May (31)
    • ►  April (29)
    • ▼  March (30)
      • Farmland Sale Socioeconomics
      • Tax Management
      • Miltary Protection Acts on Good Friday
      • Mosanto Protection Act
      • Mentors
      • MRI
      • Snow, Poor Man's Fertilizer
      • Will The Wheat Freeze?
      • Sable Ticked The Birds Off
      • Who Will Be My 100th Follower?
      • Calcium Nitrate
      • 83 Degrees A Year Ago
      • Table Of Saint Joseph
      • Spring Must Be Close
      • The Next Advancement in Corn Yield?
      • The Mustard Seed
      • Buyer's Remorse Blues
      • Magnesium
      • Ca, N, S
      • Soil Rhizobium Counts
      • Bible Bee
      • Kitchen Sink Study
      • My Email Warmed Up
      • The Next Big Thing
      • Those Crystals!
      • High Yield Soybeans
      • Heavy Frost
      • Happiness
      • WOSU Became WVSG
      • Zoo
    • ►  February (23)
    • ►  January (32)
  • ►  2012 (43)
    • ►  December (31)
    • ►  November (12)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile