HyMarkHigh

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Monday, 18 March 2013

Spring Must Be Close

Posted on 04:30 by Unknown
Easter is almost here, the bulbs are sending up shoots for the spring flowers and Saint Patrick's Day is over.  We have a thunderstorm rumbling through, the dog is scared and the house is muddy.  We were trying to catch the weather radar on TV when one bolt made the lights flash and the TV screen turned pink.  Thankfully it was not a permanent color.

We carried on our little tradition of a green dinner with some of the grand kids last night.  We had corned beef and roast lamb and green everything else but the potatoes.  The peas turned them green easily enough.  This tradition was started some years ago when one family member had his jaw wired and all the food ran through the blender ended up looking green.  In respect of his green dinner, we all ate green.

Funny how that green from chlorophyll activated by sunlight is our thread of life, isn't it?  Farmers actually plant millions of little green factories we prod and poke and pump to produce good food and a profitable yield.

Just a year ago the planters were rolling in hopes of a good year with record early planting.  That early spring just happened to be the start of a very hot, dry year, one for for the record books.  I learned lessons dad and grandpa taught about the 30's, which they were very happy to survive and watch pass by them.

Today it's 33 degrees here, pouring down rain and it snowed just south of us ahead of this storm.  That's weird, snow south of us.  I am really glad a little nitrogen got spread on my wheat now as most fields haven't and are starting to look nitrogen deficient.

I need to go pull tissue and send half to Midwest Labs and half to CSI Labs.  That's a good modern name, isn't it?  CSI, Crop Science Investigation or diagnosing the smoking, dead plant.  Actually the SAP test should help me observe plant health before it gets so sick it dies.  I should be able to learn what I am doing or wrong or what I can do to keep those little factories perking longer at higher efficiency.

It's too muddy to walk fields now so that will have to wait a week or so but you will be the first to learn of my results here on HyMark High Spots.

Maybe I will be able to learn how to help you grow better crops and gardens.

Sounds like a good deal, doesn't it?  Today's picture was taken on the South Island just over a month ago.

Ed
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • So God Made An Ag Teacher
    "If God made a farmer, it couldn’t have been too long after that he realized he needed an Ag Teacher. He must have realized that he nee...
  • The Art Of Soil Sampling
    After this week of study, I thought about all the soil testing I have done and all I need to do.  I am going to compare the results of the M...
  • Insecticide, Bees and Trees
    A group of farmers are talking about a problem in the Cafe.  "Rent two farms from a a guy who owns a commercial apiary. He has requeste...
  • Sign of the Heart
    A neighbor and I were talking last week and he told me about mowing Canada Thistle in the sign of the heart and the weeds dying.  I looked i...
  • Sainfoin (Onobrychis viciifolia) - Healthy or Holy
    Ed's post about alfalfa just started a war on legumes! More seriously, it reminded me of how sainfoin was one of the predominant legume...
  • $106 Trillion
    Nearly half of our national debt is money that " just disappeared ."  Our national debt is around $17 trillion and 9 trillion is m...
  • Reversing farmer demographics
    Future Farmer of America Enrollment in ag schools has been up 28% since 2004 . While these new students are not all future farmers, there ar...
  • Two Good Men
    I need two good men today .  Anyone available?  All my part time help is busy doing other jobs.  Maybe 2 men and a truck are available. I ...
  • It's 2 AM Local Time
    And here I sit wide awake!  My biological clock is off by 4-5 hours.  It was worth it though.  I am using this special time of night to reme...
  • Wild Crop Cousins
    " Wild cousins of 32 crops including wheat and sugarcane could add as much in $196 billion of value at the farm-gate level by boosting...

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (257)
    • ►  September (20)
    • ►  August (31)
    • ►  July (31)
    • ►  June (30)
    • ►  May (31)
    • ►  April (29)
    • ▼  March (30)
      • Farmland Sale Socioeconomics
      • Tax Management
      • Miltary Protection Acts on Good Friday
      • Mosanto Protection Act
      • Mentors
      • MRI
      • Snow, Poor Man's Fertilizer
      • Will The Wheat Freeze?
      • Sable Ticked The Birds Off
      • Who Will Be My 100th Follower?
      • Calcium Nitrate
      • 83 Degrees A Year Ago
      • Table Of Saint Joseph
      • Spring Must Be Close
      • The Next Advancement in Corn Yield?
      • The Mustard Seed
      • Buyer's Remorse Blues
      • Magnesium
      • Ca, N, S
      • Soil Rhizobium Counts
      • Bible Bee
      • Kitchen Sink Study
      • My Email Warmed Up
      • The Next Big Thing
      • Those Crystals!
      • High Yield Soybeans
      • Heavy Frost
      • Happiness
      • WOSU Became WVSG
      • Zoo
    • ►  February (23)
    • ►  January (32)
  • ►  2012 (43)
    • ►  December (31)
    • ►  November (12)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile