HyMarkHigh

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Sunday, 31 March 2013

Farmland Sale Socioeconomics

Posted on 09:39 by Unknown
Blessed Easter Sunday to you all.  I jotted down these notes yesterday and share them with you today.

There was another farm auction today at the Elk's Lodge where LuAnn and I bought our last farm in November.  It was an interesting study of people, farmers, economy and socioeconomics.  I believe that is the word I am looking for but there was a lot of group dynamics involved, too.

It's a nice 106 acre farm 5 miles from us or so near Cuba on old US 68 or Cuba Pike.  It's been one family a long time.  The old house even has the old German wood floors those farmers were famous for.

Someone I know put in a bid for $4000.  It went to $4300 per acre and stopped.  The auctioneer started into his closing chant but we all knew it should bring more than that.  The woman next to me was from Cincinnati and I had just met her and her husband.  I had just told her about the one near me that brought $6,000 an acre. She asked me if $4400 was too much and I said no.  I was sure it would bring between $5-6000 per acre.  She raised her hand and that broke the ice.

The bidding took off to $5,000 per acre quickly and at about $5200 it stopped again.  This time the auctioneer said I would take a $50 bid on this fine spring day and the bidding took off again.  I couldn't see who was bidding but it was coming from the big group of farmers in the back of the room.  I spotted an old friend who bid and kissed his wife.  The auction was slow at this time but kept moving.  The auctioneer got down to $25 per acre bids but confused himself by saying "I have fifty two two fifty" instead of saying $5225.  The bids kept creeping up slowly and finally he got to $5775 per acre and asked for $5800.  The older farmer finally bid that before the sale ended and that stopped the other bidder, whoever that was.

The farm sold for $5800 per acre or just under $620,000 total.  He had to write a check for about $62,000 or ten percent of the purchase price.  The lady I referred to made the auctioneers day when her husband asked what the bidders premium was and the auctioneer said there was none.  "Most of these people think I am overpaid anyway," was his response.

Land in economically depressed southern Ohio has crept higher, still half that of neighboring states.  I had wondered if the 50 cent drop in market price this week would deter anyone and when the bidding died at $4300 I thought maybe it had.

After $5800 per acre, I would say not.  My old friend got a good farm for a high price around here but half what neighboring states bring.

Ed
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • So God Made An Ag Teacher
    "If God made a farmer, it couldn’t have been too long after that he realized he needed an Ag Teacher. He must have realized that he nee...
  • The Art Of Soil Sampling
    After this week of study, I thought about all the soil testing I have done and all I need to do.  I am going to compare the results of the M...
  • Insecticide, Bees and Trees
    A group of farmers are talking about a problem in the Cafe.  "Rent two farms from a a guy who owns a commercial apiary. He has requeste...
  • Sign of the Heart
    A neighbor and I were talking last week and he told me about mowing Canada Thistle in the sign of the heart and the weeds dying.  I looked i...
  • Sainfoin (Onobrychis viciifolia) - Healthy or Holy
    Ed's post about alfalfa just started a war on legumes! More seriously, it reminded me of how sainfoin was one of the predominant legume...
  • $106 Trillion
    Nearly half of our national debt is money that " just disappeared ."  Our national debt is around $17 trillion and 9 trillion is m...
  • Reversing farmer demographics
    Future Farmer of America Enrollment in ag schools has been up 28% since 2004 . While these new students are not all future farmers, there ar...
  • Two Good Men
    I need two good men today .  Anyone available?  All my part time help is busy doing other jobs.  Maybe 2 men and a truck are available. I ...
  • It's 2 AM Local Time
    And here I sit wide awake!  My biological clock is off by 4-5 hours.  It was worth it though.  I am using this special time of night to reme...
  • Wild Crop Cousins
    " Wild cousins of 32 crops including wheat and sugarcane could add as much in $196 billion of value at the farm-gate level by boosting...

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (257)
    • ►  September (20)
    • ►  August (31)
    • ►  July (31)
    • ►  June (30)
    • ►  May (31)
    • ►  April (29)
    • ▼  March (30)
      • Farmland Sale Socioeconomics
      • Tax Management
      • Miltary Protection Acts on Good Friday
      • Mosanto Protection Act
      • Mentors
      • MRI
      • Snow, Poor Man's Fertilizer
      • Will The Wheat Freeze?
      • Sable Ticked The Birds Off
      • Who Will Be My 100th Follower?
      • Calcium Nitrate
      • 83 Degrees A Year Ago
      • Table Of Saint Joseph
      • Spring Must Be Close
      • The Next Advancement in Corn Yield?
      • The Mustard Seed
      • Buyer's Remorse Blues
      • Magnesium
      • Ca, N, S
      • Soil Rhizobium Counts
      • Bible Bee
      • Kitchen Sink Study
      • My Email Warmed Up
      • The Next Big Thing
      • Those Crystals!
      • High Yield Soybeans
      • Heavy Frost
      • Happiness
      • WOSU Became WVSG
      • Zoo
    • ►  February (23)
    • ►  January (32)
  • ►  2012 (43)
    • ►  December (31)
    • ►  November (12)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile