HyMarkHigh

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Tuesday, 20 August 2013

Renewable Fuel Standard

Posted on 05:48 by Unknown
I just saw this topic in a commercial on my local news channel, a CBS affiliate.  I heard it on WJR radio on the way to Cleveland, too.  The commercial is full of falsehoods like E-15 will damage your engine, the standard will make food prices go up and blah, blah blah.  It mentions the support of AAA and I am a member.  I don't like that reference.

What's the truth?  "Oil companies don’t like biofuels very much. The reason why is pretty clear. Right now, 10 percent of what would have been gasoline sales is now being diverted to biofuels, primarily ethanol. Oilmen particularly don’t like the renewable fuel standard (RFS), which legally requires that gasoline producers include a minimum percentage of ethanol in every gallon sold, an amount that could grow to 15 percent in the near future, and eventually might go as high as 30 percent. By 2022, that means that 36 billion gallons will come from bio-based sources, though a maximum of 15 billion gallons can come from corn, a move intended to limit interference with the food supply.

That is why, both the American Petroleum Institute and the American Fuel and Petrochemical Manufacturers group are pushing hard for a complete repeal of the RFS.

Two oil companies, BP and Shell, however, have broken ranks with these trade groups, saying that they, “generally support” the legislation. Those are the words of John Reese, Shell’s downstream policy and advocacy manager. He does feel that the mandate could use some revision. Likewise, according to spokesman Matt Hartwig, “BP supports the goals of the RFS program to stimulate the development and deployment of biofuels technologies. There are challenges with the standard that must be addressed, and we continue to work with regulatory agencies to address these issues."

As a corn grower, I haven't seen ethanol damage an engine or make my food bill go up.  Fuel costs and other inputs drive the price of food, not ethanol.  You stand on one side of the issue or the other or you just don't care.  I care.  I support the idea of burning corn ethanol.  I burn lots of it.  I like the jobs it creates and the lack of dependence on foreign oil.  Still, we are now a major export of gasoline because of the fracking industry.

I admit farming was more stable at $2 corn but it made sense to distill a crop we can grow so much of.

You either agree or you don't or you just don't care.

Ed Winkle
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • So God Made An Ag Teacher
    "If God made a farmer, it couldn’t have been too long after that he realized he needed an Ag Teacher. He must have realized that he nee...
  • The Art Of Soil Sampling
    After this week of study, I thought about all the soil testing I have done and all I need to do.  I am going to compare the results of the M...
  • Insecticide, Bees and Trees
    A group of farmers are talking about a problem in the Cafe.  "Rent two farms from a a guy who owns a commercial apiary. He has requeste...
  • Sign of the Heart
    A neighbor and I were talking last week and he told me about mowing Canada Thistle in the sign of the heart and the weeds dying.  I looked i...
  • Sainfoin (Onobrychis viciifolia) - Healthy or Holy
    Ed's post about alfalfa just started a war on legumes! More seriously, it reminded me of how sainfoin was one of the predominant legume...
  • $106 Trillion
    Nearly half of our national debt is money that " just disappeared ."  Our national debt is around $17 trillion and 9 trillion is m...
  • Reversing farmer demographics
    Future Farmer of America Enrollment in ag schools has been up 28% since 2004 . While these new students are not all future farmers, there ar...
  • Two Good Men
    I need two good men today .  Anyone available?  All my part time help is busy doing other jobs.  Maybe 2 men and a truck are available. I ...
  • It's 2 AM Local Time
    And here I sit wide awake!  My biological clock is off by 4-5 hours.  It was worth it though.  I am using this special time of night to reme...
  • Wild Crop Cousins
    " Wild cousins of 32 crops including wheat and sugarcane could add as much in $196 billion of value at the farm-gate level by boosting...

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (257)
    • ►  September (20)
    • ▼  August (31)
      • Cover Crop Vaccine
      • What Harvest?
      • $800 Cruise
      • Crop Tour 8/26/13
      • Holy Cow, What A Haul!
      • When Moms Talk Back
      • Two Million Bikers
      • Mule, Gator or Ranger?
      • Why China’s farming sector is failing
      • Brown Revolution
      • Ancient agriculture
      • Renewable Fuel Standard
      • Radish Powered Garden
      • Farmers Talking Markets
      • Is Soy Really A Good Food?
      • Vinegar On Soybeans
      • Fall Fertilizer
      • 118 Bushel Soybeans
      • Dr. Richard Cooper
      • Emily Elizabeth Winkle
      • Very Good Dinner
      • Almost Dinner Time
      • Rhizopogon
      • Meals In The Fields
      • 36 Bushels?
      • Quick Test For Goss's Wilt
      • The Pig Of Pampering And Prayer
      • Nodulation
      • Apex
      • What Truck Do You Drive?
      • Ohio Agriculture
    • ►  July (31)
    • ►  June (30)
    • ►  May (31)
    • ►  April (29)
    • ►  March (30)
    • ►  February (23)
    • ►  January (32)
  • ►  2012 (43)
    • ►  December (31)
    • ►  November (12)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile