HyMarkHigh

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Wednesday, 7 August 2013

36 Bushels?

Posted on 02:35 by Unknown
US soybean yields have been hanging around the 36 bushel area.  I woke up this morning thinking dad and I raised our first soybeans at Sardinia with a worn out John Deere Van Brunt drill and made over 50 bushels on highly eroded worn out ground.  We didn't understand how to fertilize like I do today.  Why can't we raise better soybeans today?

Many ag talkers have been asking about raising better soybeans.  Some have emailed me.  I have offered to show my crop to any lookers.  I have a few coming to look.  I hope I don't disappoint them and I don't think I will.

Some of the best beans in the county are across the road from my farm.  Neighbor Ed has done a great job and got his planted before I did.  If I remember right, he hit that first of May planting area when I was not ready to plant yet.  I was spraying burn down then and I included 2,4-D

Inoculant is one thing but good soybeans won't be "fixed" by inoculant alone.  It takes a total program of fertilizer to feed a crop.  We used to let the beans scavenge a heavy corn fertilizer program but that doesn't seem to work well enough anymore.  Many good soybean producers are feeding nitrogen to their soybeans today.  I am one of them.  The soil must have enough calcium and nitrate to nodulate properly.  Maybe that is why the fellow in the link has yellow leafed soybeans.

Tissue testing has given me a lot of clues as to what to do.  90% of all tissue tests come up short in at least one nutrient.  Sometimes it is there and the plant can't get it.  How do we release the nutrients that are in the soil and should be available to the plant?  NoTill and cover crops increase soil health for me that it makes it easier.  Fungicide on crops has not been the answer for me.  Soil health and quality better address those issues.  Foliar feeding is a band aid unless you have a solid program of the 17 known and needed nutrients.  Remember C, H, O is the first three and we don't apply them as fertilizer.

Soybean methods in the Midwest are not up to par if we can only raise a 36 bushel national crop.  I don't care how bad the soil is or how little it rains in some areas.  We can do a lot better than 36 bushels.

Ed Winkle



Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • So God Made An Ag Teacher
    "If God made a farmer, it couldn’t have been too long after that he realized he needed an Ag Teacher. He must have realized that he nee...
  • The Art Of Soil Sampling
    After this week of study, I thought about all the soil testing I have done and all I need to do.  I am going to compare the results of the M...
  • Insecticide, Bees and Trees
    A group of farmers are talking about a problem in the Cafe.  "Rent two farms from a a guy who owns a commercial apiary. He has requeste...
  • Sign of the Heart
    A neighbor and I were talking last week and he told me about mowing Canada Thistle in the sign of the heart and the weeds dying.  I looked i...
  • Sainfoin (Onobrychis viciifolia) - Healthy or Holy
    Ed's post about alfalfa just started a war on legumes! More seriously, it reminded me of how sainfoin was one of the predominant legume...
  • $106 Trillion
    Nearly half of our national debt is money that " just disappeared ."  Our national debt is around $17 trillion and 9 trillion is m...
  • Reversing farmer demographics
    Future Farmer of America Enrollment in ag schools has been up 28% since 2004 . While these new students are not all future farmers, there ar...
  • Two Good Men
    I need two good men today .  Anyone available?  All my part time help is busy doing other jobs.  Maybe 2 men and a truck are available. I ...
  • It's 2 AM Local Time
    And here I sit wide awake!  My biological clock is off by 4-5 hours.  It was worth it though.  I am using this special time of night to reme...
  • Wild Crop Cousins
    " Wild cousins of 32 crops including wheat and sugarcane could add as much in $196 billion of value at the farm-gate level by boosting...

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (257)
    • ►  September (20)
    • ▼  August (31)
      • Cover Crop Vaccine
      • What Harvest?
      • $800 Cruise
      • Crop Tour 8/26/13
      • Holy Cow, What A Haul!
      • When Moms Talk Back
      • Two Million Bikers
      • Mule, Gator or Ranger?
      • Why China’s farming sector is failing
      • Brown Revolution
      • Ancient agriculture
      • Renewable Fuel Standard
      • Radish Powered Garden
      • Farmers Talking Markets
      • Is Soy Really A Good Food?
      • Vinegar On Soybeans
      • Fall Fertilizer
      • 118 Bushel Soybeans
      • Dr. Richard Cooper
      • Emily Elizabeth Winkle
      • Very Good Dinner
      • Almost Dinner Time
      • Rhizopogon
      • Meals In The Fields
      • 36 Bushels?
      • Quick Test For Goss's Wilt
      • The Pig Of Pampering And Prayer
      • Nodulation
      • Apex
      • What Truck Do You Drive?
      • Ohio Agriculture
    • ►  July (31)
    • ►  June (30)
    • ►  May (31)
    • ►  April (29)
    • ►  March (30)
    • ►  February (23)
    • ►  January (32)
  • ►  2012 (43)
    • ►  December (31)
    • ►  November (12)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile