HyMarkHigh

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Thursday, 1 August 2013

Ohio Agriculture

Posted on 04:42 by Unknown
Ty Higgins at Ohio Country Journal put together a nice YouTube about Ohio Agriculture, Behind the Scenes.  Take a look at it and learn more about my home state.

LuAnn's brother Tom was amazed to learn we grow over 3 million acres of corn in our little state and even more soybeans.  As explained how I farm and the challenges we face as farmers, I saw two curious consumers interested in everything I told them from the cost of inputs to delivering a product that is used in most of the foods we all consume.

That old statement that Ohio had more prime farmland than any other state and to think about what happened to it still bugs me.  Ohio was a key state when Cincinnati was Porkopolis and still is in many ways.  I even explained how our state road is the old Chillicothe Pike when Cincinnati slaughtered hogs and brewed beer but our capitol was in Chillicothe because much our state was settle from the south first.  That's how my family got established here, for sure.

Ohio has since been a leading industrial and automotive state and now a rust belt state as that all passed away.  Agriculture never passed away and we still are a strong agricultural state.  The video helps show that.

Our state fair is on right now in Columbus and it used to showcase our strong agricultural roots.  Now, even it is just a glimpse of what we used to be as a few families gather to show livestock and the rest go for food and entertainment.

Ohio has never been an "I State" but it is 4 letters just like Iowa, both Native American names.  It's a good state and been a great home for the Winkle family.  Iowa is my favorite state because it's lay of the land and it's a very large agricultural state.  Ohio isn't too bad and it will have to do.

With grandchild number 12 coming soon, our roots are deeply anchored in Ohio.

Have you been to Ohio?  What is your impression of it?

Ed Winkle

Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • So God Made An Ag Teacher
    "If God made a farmer, it couldn’t have been too long after that he realized he needed an Ag Teacher. He must have realized that he nee...
  • The Art Of Soil Sampling
    After this week of study, I thought about all the soil testing I have done and all I need to do.  I am going to compare the results of the M...
  • Insecticide, Bees and Trees
    A group of farmers are talking about a problem in the Cafe.  "Rent two farms from a a guy who owns a commercial apiary. He has requeste...
  • Sign of the Heart
    A neighbor and I were talking last week and he told me about mowing Canada Thistle in the sign of the heart and the weeds dying.  I looked i...
  • Sainfoin (Onobrychis viciifolia) - Healthy or Holy
    Ed's post about alfalfa just started a war on legumes! More seriously, it reminded me of how sainfoin was one of the predominant legume...
  • $106 Trillion
    Nearly half of our national debt is money that " just disappeared ."  Our national debt is around $17 trillion and 9 trillion is m...
  • Reversing farmer demographics
    Future Farmer of America Enrollment in ag schools has been up 28% since 2004 . While these new students are not all future farmers, there ar...
  • Two Good Men
    I need two good men today .  Anyone available?  All my part time help is busy doing other jobs.  Maybe 2 men and a truck are available. I ...
  • It's 2 AM Local Time
    And here I sit wide awake!  My biological clock is off by 4-5 hours.  It was worth it though.  I am using this special time of night to reme...
  • Wild Crop Cousins
    " Wild cousins of 32 crops including wheat and sugarcane could add as much in $196 billion of value at the farm-gate level by boosting...

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (257)
    • ►  September (20)
    • ▼  August (31)
      • Cover Crop Vaccine
      • What Harvest?
      • $800 Cruise
      • Crop Tour 8/26/13
      • Holy Cow, What A Haul!
      • When Moms Talk Back
      • Two Million Bikers
      • Mule, Gator or Ranger?
      • Why China’s farming sector is failing
      • Brown Revolution
      • Ancient agriculture
      • Renewable Fuel Standard
      • Radish Powered Garden
      • Farmers Talking Markets
      • Is Soy Really A Good Food?
      • Vinegar On Soybeans
      • Fall Fertilizer
      • 118 Bushel Soybeans
      • Dr. Richard Cooper
      • Emily Elizabeth Winkle
      • Very Good Dinner
      • Almost Dinner Time
      • Rhizopogon
      • Meals In The Fields
      • 36 Bushels?
      • Quick Test For Goss's Wilt
      • The Pig Of Pampering And Prayer
      • Nodulation
      • Apex
      • What Truck Do You Drive?
      • Ohio Agriculture
    • ►  July (31)
    • ►  June (30)
    • ►  May (31)
    • ►  April (29)
    • ►  March (30)
    • ►  February (23)
    • ►  January (32)
  • ►  2012 (43)
    • ►  December (31)
    • ►  November (12)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile