HyMarkHigh

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Saturday, 3 August 2013

Apex

Posted on 05:21 by Unknown
Our oldest child Matt and I did our professional development scouting trip yesterday like we did a year ago.  We got to look over my field of Apex soybeans that I got from Keith Schlapkohl in Stockton, Iowa.  We were happy to find clusters similar to what I found in Keith's fields last August.

Matt said a year ago everything we scouted had pods and yesterday we only found 2 fields in the three counties we scouted within 25 miles of where I live.  Matt thought my PH-4389N yellow hilum soybeans bound for Asian shipment was every bit as good as the Apex and probably better.  They have large clusters of pods too.  I asked how much rain do we need to fill those clusters?  We thought the adage of an inch of rain a week was probably the answer.

The point is that the Apex high yield semi dwarf system probably has good application yet today.  It was developed by Dr. Richard Cooper at OARDC a long time ago.  Dr. Schillinger's eMerge soybean program is probably as good and the yellow hilum has a higher premium this year. There are many good links like this one if you dig a little.  The key is how you raise them.  I have followed the steps in this guide as closely as I can.

We have talked about high yield soybeans on this blog.  Soil, drainage, fertility, and pest control are all key to high yield soybeans.  The seed is part of that program, too.  Apex has the RPS-1K gene for phytopthora but we found a few plants in the bottom we thought had succumbed to the disease.  Not a lot, but we did find a few.

The Porter bean which is Dr. Schillinger's eMerge 389 bean likes this weather.  I have scouted probably 1000 acres or more destined for Asia and they look as good as any other non GMO or GMO variety this year.  They are liking the moisture we are receiving this year.  Mine are heavily podding and I used my brain and got my sprays and fertilizers on at the right time.  I must say they look awesome.

I know the struggles and peril's of identity preserved seeds but I am willing to work for the premium because I don't want glyphosate or glufosinate in my soil.  Glufosinate still works here but glyphosate does not.  The cleanest fields we saw were Liberty Link on a farm south of Hillsboro.  He basically had NO weeds  Thanks, Matt, for showing me those.

Which soybean is the highest yielding on your farm and in your area?  I am finding I can grow any soybean adapted to my region if I just treat them right.

Ed Winkle




Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • So God Made An Ag Teacher
    "If God made a farmer, it couldn’t have been too long after that he realized he needed an Ag Teacher. He must have realized that he nee...
  • The Art Of Soil Sampling
    After this week of study, I thought about all the soil testing I have done and all I need to do.  I am going to compare the results of the M...
  • Insecticide, Bees and Trees
    A group of farmers are talking about a problem in the Cafe.  "Rent two farms from a a guy who owns a commercial apiary. He has requeste...
  • Sign of the Heart
    A neighbor and I were talking last week and he told me about mowing Canada Thistle in the sign of the heart and the weeds dying.  I looked i...
  • Sainfoin (Onobrychis viciifolia) - Healthy or Holy
    Ed's post about alfalfa just started a war on legumes! More seriously, it reminded me of how sainfoin was one of the predominant legume...
  • $106 Trillion
    Nearly half of our national debt is money that " just disappeared ."  Our national debt is around $17 trillion and 9 trillion is m...
  • Reversing farmer demographics
    Future Farmer of America Enrollment in ag schools has been up 28% since 2004 . While these new students are not all future farmers, there ar...
  • Two Good Men
    I need two good men today .  Anyone available?  All my part time help is busy doing other jobs.  Maybe 2 men and a truck are available. I ...
  • It's 2 AM Local Time
    And here I sit wide awake!  My biological clock is off by 4-5 hours.  It was worth it though.  I am using this special time of night to reme...
  • Wild Crop Cousins
    " Wild cousins of 32 crops including wheat and sugarcane could add as much in $196 billion of value at the farm-gate level by boosting...

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (257)
    • ►  September (20)
    • ▼  August (31)
      • Cover Crop Vaccine
      • What Harvest?
      • $800 Cruise
      • Crop Tour 8/26/13
      • Holy Cow, What A Haul!
      • When Moms Talk Back
      • Two Million Bikers
      • Mule, Gator or Ranger?
      • Why China’s farming sector is failing
      • Brown Revolution
      • Ancient agriculture
      • Renewable Fuel Standard
      • Radish Powered Garden
      • Farmers Talking Markets
      • Is Soy Really A Good Food?
      • Vinegar On Soybeans
      • Fall Fertilizer
      • 118 Bushel Soybeans
      • Dr. Richard Cooper
      • Emily Elizabeth Winkle
      • Very Good Dinner
      • Almost Dinner Time
      • Rhizopogon
      • Meals In The Fields
      • 36 Bushels?
      • Quick Test For Goss's Wilt
      • The Pig Of Pampering And Prayer
      • Nodulation
      • Apex
      • What Truck Do You Drive?
      • Ohio Agriculture
    • ►  July (31)
    • ►  June (30)
    • ►  May (31)
    • ►  April (29)
    • ►  March (30)
    • ►  February (23)
    • ►  January (32)
  • ►  2012 (43)
    • ►  December (31)
    • ►  November (12)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile