HyMarkHigh

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Thursday, 9 May 2013

Phosphorous And Algae Bloom

Posted on 04:29 by Unknown
Our fertilized world has caused some problems.  "Public attention on P fertilizer management reached a new high in 2011 when record rainfall in Ohio washed phosphorus from farmers’ fields into Lake Erie, feeding a toxic algal bloom that covered 1,930 square miles—the largest in the lake’s recorded history and more than twice the size as the previous largest bloom in 2008.

But by the mid-1990s, a strange new phenomenon occurred. The algal blooms that were once thought of as a thing of the past began reappearing. And, they were becoming more frequent and toxic.

The blue-green algae blooms made of potentially toxic cyanobacteria began returning in the western basin of Lake Erie at an increased frequency through the 1990s and into the 2000s. But all the while, farmers were becoming more efficient with fertilizer use and were applying at significantly lower rates than they were in the 1970s.

“We don’t see this as an over application problem just based upon the phosphorus being supplied and what’s being removed,” explains CCA Robert Mullen, director of agronomy at Potash Corp. in Wooster, OH. “I would guess that the issue is the general rule of 80–20—that 80% of the problem comes from 20% of the production system. There are times when applications are made in less-than-ideal conditions that can result in a fairly large amount of phosphorus being transported. But, it doesn’t look as if all farmers are the bad players, according to the data.”

It has been proved that wheat in rotation and cover crops alone greatly reduce the amount of Phosphorous in a watershed.  It doesn't only help, it really works.  Phosphorous is so expensive, we can't afford to let it get away but we don't want to see Deficiency on a tissue test, either.

I wish there was a way to correct the 20% and not penalize the 80% who are doing a good job of Phosphorous management.  The new Ohio Fertilizer Law doesn't do that and that alone is not the answer.  It just causes more distrust of government by good farmers.  There is no easy way out.

If every farmer in the watershed just read my daily blog about notill practices, lime and fertilizer management and cover cropping, I don't think there would be much of a problem at all.

Is the answer found in law and enforcement or education?

What do you think?

Ed Winkle
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • So God Made An Ag Teacher
    "If God made a farmer, it couldn’t have been too long after that he realized he needed an Ag Teacher. He must have realized that he nee...
  • The Art Of Soil Sampling
    After this week of study, I thought about all the soil testing I have done and all I need to do.  I am going to compare the results of the M...
  • Insecticide, Bees and Trees
    A group of farmers are talking about a problem in the Cafe.  "Rent two farms from a a guy who owns a commercial apiary. He has requeste...
  • Sign of the Heart
    A neighbor and I were talking last week and he told me about mowing Canada Thistle in the sign of the heart and the weeds dying.  I looked i...
  • Sainfoin (Onobrychis viciifolia) - Healthy or Holy
    Ed's post about alfalfa just started a war on legumes! More seriously, it reminded me of how sainfoin was one of the predominant legume...
  • $106 Trillion
    Nearly half of our national debt is money that " just disappeared ."  Our national debt is around $17 trillion and 9 trillion is m...
  • Reversing farmer demographics
    Future Farmer of America Enrollment in ag schools has been up 28% since 2004 . While these new students are not all future farmers, there ar...
  • Two Good Men
    I need two good men today .  Anyone available?  All my part time help is busy doing other jobs.  Maybe 2 men and a truck are available. I ...
  • It's 2 AM Local Time
    And here I sit wide awake!  My biological clock is off by 4-5 hours.  It was worth it though.  I am using this special time of night to reme...
  • Wild Crop Cousins
    " Wild cousins of 32 crops including wheat and sugarcane could add as much in $196 billion of value at the farm-gate level by boosting...

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (257)
    • ►  September (20)
    • ►  August (31)
    • ►  July (31)
    • ►  June (30)
    • ▼  May (31)
      • China Buys Smitfield
      • I Am Getting Tired Of These Posts
      • War?
      • HERB-1
      • May 25
      • Every Person
      • Keep The Disk Or Sell It?
      • Soil Web
      • What Coffee Grounds Do To Soil
      • Finally
      • Glyphosate
      • Biological Farming
      • Biologist's Reply On Deer Story
      • Sustainable Intensive Farming
      • Powerball
      • Variable Rate Fertilizer
      • "I Killed Her Garden!"
      • Vim, Vigor and Vitality
      • Food Deserts
      • Dog With A Blog
      • Rye Contamination In Wheat
      • Glyphosate Effects
      • Phosphorous And Algae Bloom
      • Fertilized World
      • I-74 Crop Planting Tour
      • Lilly Of The Valley
      • Crop Planting Tour
      • Flying Pigs
      • Crop Scouting Drones
      • Itching To Go
      • Pruning
    • ►  April (29)
    • ►  March (30)
    • ►  February (23)
    • ►  January (32)
  • ►  2012 (43)
    • ►  December (31)
    • ►  November (12)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile