HyMarkHigh

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Friday, 24 May 2013

Soil Web

Posted on 03:19 by Unknown
"Beneath your home, below lawns, under asphalt streets, farms and natural areas there is a complex blend of minerals and organic matter that varies widely in texture, color and structure. Producing food, maintaining landscapes and building structures all depend on this little understood, but critical outermost layer of the Earth's crust - the soil.

Anyone can learn about the United States' diversity of soils using SoilWeb, a nationwide database of soil variability first developed in 2004. SoilWeb reached a new milestone this year when it was integrated with Google Maps and designed to scale across any Web-enabled device – desktop computer, tablet or smart phone.

SoilWeb has dozens of uses. The information can inform insurers about flooding frequency and builders about locations suitable for roads, basements or septic tanks. The agricultural real estate industry, farmland owners and farmers interested in renting or purchasing land commonly need information about soil productivity and land capability. Knowledge of soil is also important to home gardeners and landscapers."

"Our online soil survey can be used to access USDA-NCSS 1:24,000 scale detailed soil survey data (SSURGO) in many parts of the lower 48 states. Where this data is not yet available, 1:250,000 scale generalized soils data (STATSGO) can be accessed instead. An interactive map interface allows for panning and zooming, with highways, streets, and aerial photos to assist navigation (Figure 1). Soil polygons become visible near a scale of 1:30,000. Alternatively, a GPS point, Zip code, or a street address can be used to zoom in on a specific location. General usage notes and information on how our online soil survey work can be found here. Statistics on who is using our online soil survey can be found here. Technical details on SoilWeb can be found in this publication. Please note that we are currently transitioning to a new server, and planning to have our local copy of the SSURGO, STATSGO, and OSD databases updated in the coming months.


The SoilWeb app is a portable version of the UC Davis California Soil Resource Lab’s Web-based interface to digital soil survey data from USDA’s Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS)."

Most people do not use SOILWEB and few of the few who do are trained in soil capability classes.  I guess I am one of the few who was and taught the principles for 31 years and have been curious every time I see a soil opened up with a backhoe or shovel ever since.

The information helps me improve soil drainage and that same soil capability.  I've seen farmers actually change the soil description with cover crops and other farming techniques.  If you've never seen it, it is something to behold.

I used it to look underneath the soil surface of the land I farm and tend to and to understand the tile I just installed from a scientific standpoint.  That is helpful to me.  It is amazing how diverse the land underneath the 48 states or anywhere varies and yet how similar it all is.  It all grows plants, just different ones because of its very nature and the climate involved in the development and change in that land over thousands of years.

Right now I would just take some good growing weather to bring those characteristics to full fruition.

How about you?

Ed



Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • So God Made An Ag Teacher
    "If God made a farmer, it couldn’t have been too long after that he realized he needed an Ag Teacher. He must have realized that he nee...
  • The Art Of Soil Sampling
    After this week of study, I thought about all the soil testing I have done and all I need to do.  I am going to compare the results of the M...
  • Insecticide, Bees and Trees
    A group of farmers are talking about a problem in the Cafe.  "Rent two farms from a a guy who owns a commercial apiary. He has requeste...
  • Sign of the Heart
    A neighbor and I were talking last week and he told me about mowing Canada Thistle in the sign of the heart and the weeds dying.  I looked i...
  • Sainfoin (Onobrychis viciifolia) - Healthy or Holy
    Ed's post about alfalfa just started a war on legumes! More seriously, it reminded me of how sainfoin was one of the predominant legume...
  • $106 Trillion
    Nearly half of our national debt is money that " just disappeared ."  Our national debt is around $17 trillion and 9 trillion is m...
  • Reversing farmer demographics
    Future Farmer of America Enrollment in ag schools has been up 28% since 2004 . While these new students are not all future farmers, there ar...
  • Two Good Men
    I need two good men today .  Anyone available?  All my part time help is busy doing other jobs.  Maybe 2 men and a truck are available. I ...
  • It's 2 AM Local Time
    And here I sit wide awake!  My biological clock is off by 4-5 hours.  It was worth it though.  I am using this special time of night to reme...
  • Wild Crop Cousins
    " Wild cousins of 32 crops including wheat and sugarcane could add as much in $196 billion of value at the farm-gate level by boosting...

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (257)
    • ►  September (20)
    • ►  August (31)
    • ►  July (31)
    • ►  June (30)
    • ▼  May (31)
      • China Buys Smitfield
      • I Am Getting Tired Of These Posts
      • War?
      • HERB-1
      • May 25
      • Every Person
      • Keep The Disk Or Sell It?
      • Soil Web
      • What Coffee Grounds Do To Soil
      • Finally
      • Glyphosate
      • Biological Farming
      • Biologist's Reply On Deer Story
      • Sustainable Intensive Farming
      • Powerball
      • Variable Rate Fertilizer
      • "I Killed Her Garden!"
      • Vim, Vigor and Vitality
      • Food Deserts
      • Dog With A Blog
      • Rye Contamination In Wheat
      • Glyphosate Effects
      • Phosphorous And Algae Bloom
      • Fertilized World
      • I-74 Crop Planting Tour
      • Lilly Of The Valley
      • Crop Planting Tour
      • Flying Pigs
      • Crop Scouting Drones
      • Itching To Go
      • Pruning
    • ►  April (29)
    • ►  March (30)
    • ►  February (23)
    • ►  January (32)
  • ►  2012 (43)
    • ►  December (31)
    • ►  November (12)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile