HyMarkHigh

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Tuesday, 7 May 2013

I-74 Crop Planting Tour

Posted on 13:30 by Unknown
I made a run to Stockton, Iowa to make sure the hybrids I plant get tested the way Keith farms.  I want to see how my picks perform in his environment.  His method of farming will reveal the potential and flaws of any hybrid or soybean variety in his locale.  That gives me something to shoot for.

I have never seen fields look so homogenous, so unplanted the entire route of Interstate 74 in the month of May in my life.  I felt like none of my typing on here has made much impact.  I saw no cover crops, only some fields from Mother Nature.  Most fields in the 500 mile stretch have been tilled last fall or this spring or both.  They remain unplanted.  That 12% planting report sure doesn't reflect that stretch of highway.

The untouched corn stalk fields will go to notill soybeans most likely but I don't know what percentage they are.  I would guess 20% but it could be higher, not over 40% I am sure.

I was kind of disgusted with American Agriculture.  Maybe everyone else likes it looking all the same but look where the yield trends lie, down for corn and soybeans.  I think we are missing all of those good little farmers that really took care of their land.  Who owns all the land by Interstate?  It looks like the government does!

When you farm 5,000 or 10,000 or who knows how many acres, how can you really take care of it?  I guess someone can but I just didn't see it.  It looked all alike, just like you would call factory farming or farming for the landlord.  I didn't see any specialization or special care.  I saw a lot of erosion and the soil not covered.

I did see a lot of farm machinery on the Interstate, loaded on trucks.  You can tell the agricultural economy has been strong by the amount of new machinery being hauled.  It was a massive amount, maybe half the trucks most of the way.

My trip looked just about like the trip to Bowling Green Sunday.  America's 2013 seed sits in the bag.

Ed Winkle

Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • So God Made An Ag Teacher
    "If God made a farmer, it couldn’t have been too long after that he realized he needed an Ag Teacher. He must have realized that he nee...
  • The Art Of Soil Sampling
    After this week of study, I thought about all the soil testing I have done and all I need to do.  I am going to compare the results of the M...
  • Insecticide, Bees and Trees
    A group of farmers are talking about a problem in the Cafe.  "Rent two farms from a a guy who owns a commercial apiary. He has requeste...
  • Sign of the Heart
    A neighbor and I were talking last week and he told me about mowing Canada Thistle in the sign of the heart and the weeds dying.  I looked i...
  • Sainfoin (Onobrychis viciifolia) - Healthy or Holy
    Ed's post about alfalfa just started a war on legumes! More seriously, it reminded me of how sainfoin was one of the predominant legume...
  • $106 Trillion
    Nearly half of our national debt is money that " just disappeared ."  Our national debt is around $17 trillion and 9 trillion is m...
  • Reversing farmer demographics
    Future Farmer of America Enrollment in ag schools has been up 28% since 2004 . While these new students are not all future farmers, there ar...
  • Two Good Men
    I need two good men today .  Anyone available?  All my part time help is busy doing other jobs.  Maybe 2 men and a truck are available. I ...
  • It's 2 AM Local Time
    And here I sit wide awake!  My biological clock is off by 4-5 hours.  It was worth it though.  I am using this special time of night to reme...
  • Wild Crop Cousins
    " Wild cousins of 32 crops including wheat and sugarcane could add as much in $196 billion of value at the farm-gate level by boosting...

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (257)
    • ►  September (20)
    • ►  August (31)
    • ►  July (31)
    • ►  June (30)
    • ▼  May (31)
      • China Buys Smitfield
      • I Am Getting Tired Of These Posts
      • War?
      • HERB-1
      • May 25
      • Every Person
      • Keep The Disk Or Sell It?
      • Soil Web
      • What Coffee Grounds Do To Soil
      • Finally
      • Glyphosate
      • Biological Farming
      • Biologist's Reply On Deer Story
      • Sustainable Intensive Farming
      • Powerball
      • Variable Rate Fertilizer
      • "I Killed Her Garden!"
      • Vim, Vigor and Vitality
      • Food Deserts
      • Dog With A Blog
      • Rye Contamination In Wheat
      • Glyphosate Effects
      • Phosphorous And Algae Bloom
      • Fertilized World
      • I-74 Crop Planting Tour
      • Lilly Of The Valley
      • Crop Planting Tour
      • Flying Pigs
      • Crop Scouting Drones
      • Itching To Go
      • Pruning
    • ►  April (29)
    • ►  March (30)
    • ►  February (23)
    • ►  January (32)
  • ►  2012 (43)
    • ►  December (31)
    • ►  November (12)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile