HyMarkHigh

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Saturday, 25 May 2013

Keep The Disk Or Sell It?

Posted on 06:06 by Unknown
I haven't heard this question in years.  Should we keep the disk or sell it?

We used to disk the hell out of the ground.  All we did was tillage to produce livestock feed but gasoline was cheap;  I think the oil embargo of 1973 changed all of that.  The early pioneers of no-till we met at NNTC in Indianapolis in January were well on their way to successful notill farming before the embargo ever hit.

I just hate to sit on the tractor every spare hour, disking and grinding clods into tiny pieces until I used my brain to figure out how not to do that.  Some enjoy doing that but that is un-needed recreational compacting tillage I can't afford to do.  Now if I was organic, the disk might be an important tool to me.

Do you still disk ground?  Do you enjoy it?  The notill planter and drill took that all away from me and I was quickly glad to see it go.  I can't remember the last time I disked a field but it's been decades.



NoTill is not easy, I've never said it was but it sure beats disking in my mind.  My disk is mounted on a notill planter and cuts a true Vee to plant the seed into or it is notill disk opener that cuts a nice slit to slip my seed into.  It works pretty well and I probably wouldn't be farming without it.

It's beautiful weather in southwest Ohio again today but it is cool and it is damp.  We have not had good growing weather yet weather you till or not.  Some of the tillage guys have big muddy messes on their hands and I know for sure that doesn't promote a good seedbed for a new crop.

The wheat is the best looking crop around this year.  Somehow mine has escaped serious disease pressure so far.  The cooler temperatures have helped but that soil oxygen thing might really be working.

Ed Winkle

Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • So God Made An Ag Teacher
    "If God made a farmer, it couldn’t have been too long after that he realized he needed an Ag Teacher. He must have realized that he nee...
  • The Art Of Soil Sampling
    After this week of study, I thought about all the soil testing I have done and all I need to do.  I am going to compare the results of the M...
  • Insecticide, Bees and Trees
    A group of farmers are talking about a problem in the Cafe.  "Rent two farms from a a guy who owns a commercial apiary. He has requeste...
  • Sign of the Heart
    A neighbor and I were talking last week and he told me about mowing Canada Thistle in the sign of the heart and the weeds dying.  I looked i...
  • Sainfoin (Onobrychis viciifolia) - Healthy or Holy
    Ed's post about alfalfa just started a war on legumes! More seriously, it reminded me of how sainfoin was one of the predominant legume...
  • $106 Trillion
    Nearly half of our national debt is money that " just disappeared ."  Our national debt is around $17 trillion and 9 trillion is m...
  • Reversing farmer demographics
    Future Farmer of America Enrollment in ag schools has been up 28% since 2004 . While these new students are not all future farmers, there ar...
  • Two Good Men
    I need two good men today .  Anyone available?  All my part time help is busy doing other jobs.  Maybe 2 men and a truck are available. I ...
  • It's 2 AM Local Time
    And here I sit wide awake!  My biological clock is off by 4-5 hours.  It was worth it though.  I am using this special time of night to reme...
  • Wild Crop Cousins
    " Wild cousins of 32 crops including wheat and sugarcane could add as much in $196 billion of value at the farm-gate level by boosting...

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (257)
    • ►  September (20)
    • ►  August (31)
    • ►  July (31)
    • ►  June (30)
    • ▼  May (31)
      • China Buys Smitfield
      • I Am Getting Tired Of These Posts
      • War?
      • HERB-1
      • May 25
      • Every Person
      • Keep The Disk Or Sell It?
      • Soil Web
      • What Coffee Grounds Do To Soil
      • Finally
      • Glyphosate
      • Biological Farming
      • Biologist's Reply On Deer Story
      • Sustainable Intensive Farming
      • Powerball
      • Variable Rate Fertilizer
      • "I Killed Her Garden!"
      • Vim, Vigor and Vitality
      • Food Deserts
      • Dog With A Blog
      • Rye Contamination In Wheat
      • Glyphosate Effects
      • Phosphorous And Algae Bloom
      • Fertilized World
      • I-74 Crop Planting Tour
      • Lilly Of The Valley
      • Crop Planting Tour
      • Flying Pigs
      • Crop Scouting Drones
      • Itching To Go
      • Pruning
    • ►  April (29)
    • ►  March (30)
    • ►  February (23)
    • ►  January (32)
  • ►  2012 (43)
    • ►  December (31)
    • ►  November (12)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile