HyMarkHigh

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Wednesday, 29 May 2013

War?

Posted on 11:27 by Unknown
Joe in North Carolina found this and sent it to me.  War over seeds and chemicals?

This report might be a little far fetched I don't believe it didn't happen.  There is so much going on in the world now we don't know about, probably for our own good.  The president's debacles include accusations much far reaching than this one for now.

This article is about bees and neonicotinides, the best insecticide I ever found for my corn seedlings.  I do have concern about it myself.  Some farmers can't keep it contained because of the design of the planter.  It blows the dust out onto the field and contaminate the bees.  The demise of the small family farm may have helped lead to this or even caused the demise of the small family farm.

How can we survive?  I don't know that we can, but I sure hope we can.  I notill non GMO seed into the best soil I can provide.  I lower the water table with tile and use calcium and gypsum to maximize air and water movement.  I can see so much improvement over the plow, disk, and manure we used in the 60's it isn't even funny. 

Do you think we will go to war over seeds and chemicals?  We could, but I don't think so, at least I hope not.

I am concerned about the bee depopulation and I am concerned about GMO's in our food system.  I can only do for either what I think is best for me.  That is what is best for mankind or I wouldn't do it.

It has always been a complicated world in my lifetime but it was a little simpler when I was a child.  I am sure my dad and grandpa said the same thing.

Our farm is all planted to non GMO seed.  Our soil is in place.  Our lime and fertilizer has been applied.  Our seedlings are all up or coming up and that is about all I can do but control the weeds and other pests here on out.

That is a war all within itself.

What about you?

Ed
PS Sorry about the poor graphics yesterday, I need to replace or repair that.
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • So God Made An Ag Teacher
    "If God made a farmer, it couldn’t have been too long after that he realized he needed an Ag Teacher. He must have realized that he nee...
  • The Art Of Soil Sampling
    After this week of study, I thought about all the soil testing I have done and all I need to do.  I am going to compare the results of the M...
  • Insecticide, Bees and Trees
    A group of farmers are talking about a problem in the Cafe.  "Rent two farms from a a guy who owns a commercial apiary. He has requeste...
  • Sign of the Heart
    A neighbor and I were talking last week and he told me about mowing Canada Thistle in the sign of the heart and the weeds dying.  I looked i...
  • Sainfoin (Onobrychis viciifolia) - Healthy or Holy
    Ed's post about alfalfa just started a war on legumes! More seriously, it reminded me of how sainfoin was one of the predominant legume...
  • $106 Trillion
    Nearly half of our national debt is money that " just disappeared ."  Our national debt is around $17 trillion and 9 trillion is m...
  • Reversing farmer demographics
    Future Farmer of America Enrollment in ag schools has been up 28% since 2004 . While these new students are not all future farmers, there ar...
  • Two Good Men
    I need two good men today .  Anyone available?  All my part time help is busy doing other jobs.  Maybe 2 men and a truck are available. I ...
  • It's 2 AM Local Time
    And here I sit wide awake!  My biological clock is off by 4-5 hours.  It was worth it though.  I am using this special time of night to reme...
  • Wild Crop Cousins
    " Wild cousins of 32 crops including wheat and sugarcane could add as much in $196 billion of value at the farm-gate level by boosting...

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (257)
    • ►  September (20)
    • ►  August (31)
    • ►  July (31)
    • ►  June (30)
    • ▼  May (31)
      • China Buys Smitfield
      • I Am Getting Tired Of These Posts
      • War?
      • HERB-1
      • May 25
      • Every Person
      • Keep The Disk Or Sell It?
      • Soil Web
      • What Coffee Grounds Do To Soil
      • Finally
      • Glyphosate
      • Biological Farming
      • Biologist's Reply On Deer Story
      • Sustainable Intensive Farming
      • Powerball
      • Variable Rate Fertilizer
      • "I Killed Her Garden!"
      • Vim, Vigor and Vitality
      • Food Deserts
      • Dog With A Blog
      • Rye Contamination In Wheat
      • Glyphosate Effects
      • Phosphorous And Algae Bloom
      • Fertilized World
      • I-74 Crop Planting Tour
      • Lilly Of The Valley
      • Crop Planting Tour
      • Flying Pigs
      • Crop Scouting Drones
      • Itching To Go
      • Pruning
    • ►  April (29)
    • ►  March (30)
    • ►  February (23)
    • ►  January (32)
  • ►  2012 (43)
    • ►  December (31)
    • ►  November (12)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile