HyMarkHigh

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Thursday, 20 June 2013

Planting Into Rye

Posted on 04:16 by Unknown
This is a picture of my friend Lucas Criswell planting corn into tall cereal rye near Lewisburg, Pa a month ago..  I like the warning he gave our friends "this is not for flatlanders."

I met Lucas at a meeting I was teaching at years ago in Maryland I believe.  He was young and asked lots of questions.  I can see he is really doing well with notill and cover crops.  That is evident after following his posts for many years and watching his progress.  I usually see him at the National NoTillage Conference each January no matter where it is.  I know he was in Indianapolis for the last one.

His post has 22,000 plus views at last count.  That's because lots of guys are watching him and lots of farmers are adding cereal rye to their cover crop rotation.  Conservation Cop said "he is proving those wrong who say this can't be done.

Conservation Cop is Brian Sneeringer, a savvy soil and water man who took a gamble on me about the same amount of years ago to speak at their annual conservation training meeting.  The place was packed and Lucas was sitting near the front row taking notes and asking questions.  Golly, I've had a good life!

To see this younger guys excel just warms my heart.  While I am writing this, my friend Jules in Missouri emails me this.  You can see why some farmers want no part of government programs and how government programs aren't exactly taylored to the way Lucas and others farm today.

As you can see from the picture, Lucas' number one problem is erosion.  The soils I've seen in Pennsylvania are more eroded than mine and mine is eroded way too much.  Read the thread and get a jist of the questions and answers.  Lucas does a good job.

zkeele complimmented Lucas on his Agco tractor.  I wanted to write "guys who drive other colors don't do things like this" but that isn't true either.  You have to be a little rebel to try things like this as Lucas is but only because it can work, it saves soil and there is profit in it.  How else would you farm erodible soils, with a plow?

That didn't work 100 or 200 years ago so here we are notilling into rye so big you can't see over the hood.

I like that.

Good job, Lucas Criswell and good luck at the pulls this summer if you have time to pull.

Ed Winkle

Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • So God Made An Ag Teacher
    "If God made a farmer, it couldn’t have been too long after that he realized he needed an Ag Teacher. He must have realized that he nee...
  • The Art Of Soil Sampling
    After this week of study, I thought about all the soil testing I have done and all I need to do.  I am going to compare the results of the M...
  • Insecticide, Bees and Trees
    A group of farmers are talking about a problem in the Cafe.  "Rent two farms from a a guy who owns a commercial apiary. He has requeste...
  • Sign of the Heart
    A neighbor and I were talking last week and he told me about mowing Canada Thistle in the sign of the heart and the weeds dying.  I looked i...
  • Sainfoin (Onobrychis viciifolia) - Healthy or Holy
    Ed's post about alfalfa just started a war on legumes! More seriously, it reminded me of how sainfoin was one of the predominant legume...
  • $106 Trillion
    Nearly half of our national debt is money that " just disappeared ."  Our national debt is around $17 trillion and 9 trillion is m...
  • Reversing farmer demographics
    Future Farmer of America Enrollment in ag schools has been up 28% since 2004 . While these new students are not all future farmers, there ar...
  • Two Good Men
    I need two good men today .  Anyone available?  All my part time help is busy doing other jobs.  Maybe 2 men and a truck are available. I ...
  • It's 2 AM Local Time
    And here I sit wide awake!  My biological clock is off by 4-5 hours.  It was worth it though.  I am using this special time of night to reme...
  • Wild Crop Cousins
    " Wild cousins of 32 crops including wheat and sugarcane could add as much in $196 billion of value at the farm-gate level by boosting...

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (257)
    • ►  September (20)
    • ►  August (31)
    • ►  July (31)
    • ▼  June (30)
      • More Goss
      • The First GMO Was Tobacco
      • Corn Fungicides May Not Pay
      • Growing Older
      • Goodbye 806
      • Goss's Wilt?
      • Crop Scouting Tour to the Northeast
      • Happy Anniversary
      • Race Across America
      • Obama Divides
      • Planting Into Rye
      • $106 Trillion
      • Aussie Cover Crop Blog
      • Preventive Planting Insurance
      • Father Loss
      • Soil Loss
      • Local Harvest
      • My Story
      • Share Your Story
      • Homeschooling
      • Calcium
      • Soybean yields?
      • Root Development of Field Crops
      • Rolling Rye
      • Mud Pies
      • One Big Tree
      • Focus on Wheat
      • Commercial Farming?
      • Thank You Jerry
      • Tracking Phosphorous
    • ►  May (31)
    • ►  April (29)
    • ►  March (30)
    • ►  February (23)
    • ►  January (32)
  • ►  2012 (43)
    • ►  December (31)
    • ►  November (12)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile