HyMarkHigh

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Friday, 28 June 2013

Corn Fungicides May Not Pay

Posted on 03:20 by Unknown
As farmers work to increase the productivity of their fields, a study found that fungicides may not pay.  "Unless a corn crop is at risk of developing fungal diseases, a Purdue University study shows that farmers would be smart to skip fungicide treatments that promise increased yields.


Kiersten Wise, an assistant professor of botany and plant pathology, said fungicides used in fields where conditions were optimal for fungal diseases improved yields and paid for themselves. In fields where fungal diseases are unlikely to develop, however, applying a fungicide is likely a waste of money.

"About five years ago, we never used fungicides in hybrid corn. Then there was this push to use fungicides for yield enhancement, even without disease problems," said Wise, who collaborated on findings that were published as an American Phytopathological Society feature article in the journal Phytopathology. "We found that you would have to get a substantial yield increase for a fungicide treatment to pay for itself. We didn't see that yield increase on a consistent basis, and it wasn't predictable."

I worked on a project for BASF when Headline fungicide came out and we found fields that yielded up to 45 bushels more with Headline fungicide.  A neighbor had those same results in a nearby field in 2011 but that is not the norm.

A fungcide does kill the flora and fauna of the soil and many of those are beneficial organisms in a healthy soil.  Healthy soil, healthy plants, healthy livestock and healthy humans is our goal.  Farmers that use calcium nitrate beside the row have healthier crops.  I saw that in Keith's 250 bu corn last summer right beside 50 bushel dead corn.

Do you use a fungicide?  I don't and I don't plan to.  I am striving for a better balanced soil and a better fertility balanced crop.  High calcium lime is a key component to that for me here in Ohio.  I spread several hundred tons of it this spring and my crop looks good.  Tissue testing is revealing what I am deficient in so I can add the nutrients they need.

We tend to over nitrate our crops in America and underfeed everything else.

Every nutrient in balance is a key.

Ed Winkle
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • So God Made An Ag Teacher
    "If God made a farmer, it couldn’t have been too long after that he realized he needed an Ag Teacher. He must have realized that he nee...
  • The Art Of Soil Sampling
    After this week of study, I thought about all the soil testing I have done and all I need to do.  I am going to compare the results of the M...
  • Insecticide, Bees and Trees
    A group of farmers are talking about a problem in the Cafe.  "Rent two farms from a a guy who owns a commercial apiary. He has requeste...
  • Sign of the Heart
    A neighbor and I were talking last week and he told me about mowing Canada Thistle in the sign of the heart and the weeds dying.  I looked i...
  • Sainfoin (Onobrychis viciifolia) - Healthy or Holy
    Ed's post about alfalfa just started a war on legumes! More seriously, it reminded me of how sainfoin was one of the predominant legume...
  • $106 Trillion
    Nearly half of our national debt is money that " just disappeared ."  Our national debt is around $17 trillion and 9 trillion is m...
  • Reversing farmer demographics
    Future Farmer of America Enrollment in ag schools has been up 28% since 2004 . While these new students are not all future farmers, there ar...
  • Two Good Men
    I need two good men today .  Anyone available?  All my part time help is busy doing other jobs.  Maybe 2 men and a truck are available. I ...
  • It's 2 AM Local Time
    And here I sit wide awake!  My biological clock is off by 4-5 hours.  It was worth it though.  I am using this special time of night to reme...
  • Wild Crop Cousins
    " Wild cousins of 32 crops including wheat and sugarcane could add as much in $196 billion of value at the farm-gate level by boosting...

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (257)
    • ►  September (20)
    • ►  August (31)
    • ►  July (31)
    • ▼  June (30)
      • More Goss
      • The First GMO Was Tobacco
      • Corn Fungicides May Not Pay
      • Growing Older
      • Goodbye 806
      • Goss's Wilt?
      • Crop Scouting Tour to the Northeast
      • Happy Anniversary
      • Race Across America
      • Obama Divides
      • Planting Into Rye
      • $106 Trillion
      • Aussie Cover Crop Blog
      • Preventive Planting Insurance
      • Father Loss
      • Soil Loss
      • Local Harvest
      • My Story
      • Share Your Story
      • Homeschooling
      • Calcium
      • Soybean yields?
      • Root Development of Field Crops
      • Rolling Rye
      • Mud Pies
      • One Big Tree
      • Focus on Wheat
      • Commercial Farming?
      • Thank You Jerry
      • Tracking Phosphorous
    • ►  May (31)
    • ►  April (29)
    • ►  March (30)
    • ►  February (23)
    • ►  January (32)
  • ►  2012 (43)
    • ►  December (31)
    • ►  November (12)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile