HyMarkHigh

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Sunday, 2 June 2013

Thank You Jerry

Posted on 13:25 by Unknown
This last week or two I have been wondering, why do I even write this blog?  I see the readership numbers  but do they really know how I pour out my heart, soul and prayer on this effort?  Do they really read it and get anything out of it?  I started writing this for my own therapy and if it helps one soul, I guess it is worth it.

Some days, many days, it is difficult to come up with a topic.  Other days I hear something or see something and voila, there is my topic!

I got a phone call from Jerry in Iowa yesterday.  I called him back today and he reminded me why I do this.  It is not only therapuetic to me, but to others, also.

I write to give you encouragement.  That goes for Jerry and everyone else reading this blog.  I encourage you to give me topics and ask questions!  Jerry has been reading for awhile and we know a lot of the same people so we talked about almost everything I've written here in 4 years.  I ask Jerry and all readers to go back and read the older blogs, they are still current today!  Some things have changed because we learned more and other things haven't, we just need to put them into practice more.

One thing we did talk about was this calcium, nitrate, sulfur relationship.  We need to try the proven programs and experiment a little and find out what works best for us.  I still don't have a constant source of ammonium nitrate so I am fudging a lot.  That is why I went to Midwest Labs, because the popular Mehlich III soil test results were confusing me.  The numbers have too many fudged numbers in them because of that quick and dirty soil test.  I like the slower, higher priced extraction method better.

I've not seen anything more effective for the dollar or the effort than Jeff's 2 gallon of liquid calcium nitrate applied 2 inches off the row with 8 gallons of structured water.  The farms that switched to that one little  idea reported 19 bushels more corn per acre.

Thanks Jerry for the encouragement back.  That will keep me going awhile and I hope to see you before the Farm to Plate Conference in Riverside, Iowa December 10-14.

Today's picture is 3 years ago today.  There isn't any corn around here that size today but unlike some of the midwest we do have it planted.

Ed Winkle



Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • So God Made An Ag Teacher
    "If God made a farmer, it couldn’t have been too long after that he realized he needed an Ag Teacher. He must have realized that he nee...
  • The Art Of Soil Sampling
    After this week of study, I thought about all the soil testing I have done and all I need to do.  I am going to compare the results of the M...
  • Insecticide, Bees and Trees
    A group of farmers are talking about a problem in the Cafe.  "Rent two farms from a a guy who owns a commercial apiary. He has requeste...
  • Sign of the Heart
    A neighbor and I were talking last week and he told me about mowing Canada Thistle in the sign of the heart and the weeds dying.  I looked i...
  • Sainfoin (Onobrychis viciifolia) - Healthy or Holy
    Ed's post about alfalfa just started a war on legumes! More seriously, it reminded me of how sainfoin was one of the predominant legume...
  • $106 Trillion
    Nearly half of our national debt is money that " just disappeared ."  Our national debt is around $17 trillion and 9 trillion is m...
  • Reversing farmer demographics
    Future Farmer of America Enrollment in ag schools has been up 28% since 2004 . While these new students are not all future farmers, there ar...
  • Two Good Men
    I need two good men today .  Anyone available?  All my part time help is busy doing other jobs.  Maybe 2 men and a truck are available. I ...
  • It's 2 AM Local Time
    And here I sit wide awake!  My biological clock is off by 4-5 hours.  It was worth it though.  I am using this special time of night to reme...
  • Wild Crop Cousins
    " Wild cousins of 32 crops including wheat and sugarcane could add as much in $196 billion of value at the farm-gate level by boosting...

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (257)
    • ►  September (20)
    • ►  August (31)
    • ►  July (31)
    • ▼  June (30)
      • More Goss
      • The First GMO Was Tobacco
      • Corn Fungicides May Not Pay
      • Growing Older
      • Goodbye 806
      • Goss's Wilt?
      • Crop Scouting Tour to the Northeast
      • Happy Anniversary
      • Race Across America
      • Obama Divides
      • Planting Into Rye
      • $106 Trillion
      • Aussie Cover Crop Blog
      • Preventive Planting Insurance
      • Father Loss
      • Soil Loss
      • Local Harvest
      • My Story
      • Share Your Story
      • Homeschooling
      • Calcium
      • Soybean yields?
      • Root Development of Field Crops
      • Rolling Rye
      • Mud Pies
      • One Big Tree
      • Focus on Wheat
      • Commercial Farming?
      • Thank You Jerry
      • Tracking Phosphorous
    • ►  May (31)
    • ►  April (29)
    • ►  March (30)
    • ►  February (23)
    • ►  January (32)
  • ►  2012 (43)
    • ►  December (31)
    • ►  November (12)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile