HyMarkHigh

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Thursday, 6 June 2013

Mud Pies

Posted on 05:06 by Unknown
Do you remember making mud pies as a child?  I do and I think my sister will too.  Lots of farmers made mud pies in their crop fields this spring across the US.

Our daughter Becky showed this picture of our grandchildren making mud pies of themselves near Lake Erie, the place where all the algae is.  I really liked it so I included it today.  You can easily tell our daughter doesn't mind a little dirt in exchange for childhood memories.  That almost makes me wallow in the mud myself though that would be the picture of a fat hog in mud.

Do you have mud pies or dry soil?  We have been a little wet all spring so planting is just finishing up in southwest Ohio and most fields can be rowed now.  That's a lot better than we were a month ago.

My friends in Iowa and Minnesota are fighting to even have a crop.  Many acres will be not be planted because the Preventive Planting insurance pays better than the possible risk of planting in these areas.  Still, a farmer plants and most my friends will plant until it is way to late and take their learning curve blows as they happen.  That's what farmers do is plant but insurance has changed that a little in recent years.

One fellow even asked about mudding in beans with a drill versus the row unit pressure of a corn planter.  That's how wet it is in many parts of the midwest.  We had a light shower last night, just enough to keep me from planting my last 10 acres.

City people may not like our mud pies on the farm.  We can't help it, we have to like them, they are a part of life.  Relations with neighbors can be a problem so today I am thankful we have good neighbors.  They like our mud pies and understand country life.

My advice today is if Mother Nature throws too much rain at you today, make a mud pie!

Ed

Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • So God Made An Ag Teacher
    "If God made a farmer, it couldn’t have been too long after that he realized he needed an Ag Teacher. He must have realized that he nee...
  • The Art Of Soil Sampling
    After this week of study, I thought about all the soil testing I have done and all I need to do.  I am going to compare the results of the M...
  • Insecticide, Bees and Trees
    A group of farmers are talking about a problem in the Cafe.  "Rent two farms from a a guy who owns a commercial apiary. He has requeste...
  • Sign of the Heart
    A neighbor and I were talking last week and he told me about mowing Canada Thistle in the sign of the heart and the weeds dying.  I looked i...
  • Sainfoin (Onobrychis viciifolia) - Healthy or Holy
    Ed's post about alfalfa just started a war on legumes! More seriously, it reminded me of how sainfoin was one of the predominant legume...
  • $106 Trillion
    Nearly half of our national debt is money that " just disappeared ."  Our national debt is around $17 trillion and 9 trillion is m...
  • Reversing farmer demographics
    Future Farmer of America Enrollment in ag schools has been up 28% since 2004 . While these new students are not all future farmers, there ar...
  • Two Good Men
    I need two good men today .  Anyone available?  All my part time help is busy doing other jobs.  Maybe 2 men and a truck are available. I ...
  • It's 2 AM Local Time
    And here I sit wide awake!  My biological clock is off by 4-5 hours.  It was worth it though.  I am using this special time of night to reme...
  • Wild Crop Cousins
    " Wild cousins of 32 crops including wheat and sugarcane could add as much in $196 billion of value at the farm-gate level by boosting...

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (257)
    • ►  September (20)
    • ►  August (31)
    • ►  July (31)
    • ▼  June (30)
      • More Goss
      • The First GMO Was Tobacco
      • Corn Fungicides May Not Pay
      • Growing Older
      • Goodbye 806
      • Goss's Wilt?
      • Crop Scouting Tour to the Northeast
      • Happy Anniversary
      • Race Across America
      • Obama Divides
      • Planting Into Rye
      • $106 Trillion
      • Aussie Cover Crop Blog
      • Preventive Planting Insurance
      • Father Loss
      • Soil Loss
      • Local Harvest
      • My Story
      • Share Your Story
      • Homeschooling
      • Calcium
      • Soybean yields?
      • Root Development of Field Crops
      • Rolling Rye
      • Mud Pies
      • One Big Tree
      • Focus on Wheat
      • Commercial Farming?
      • Thank You Jerry
      • Tracking Phosphorous
    • ►  May (31)
    • ►  April (29)
    • ►  March (30)
    • ►  February (23)
    • ►  January (32)
  • ►  2012 (43)
    • ►  December (31)
    • ►  November (12)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile