HyMarkHigh

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Saturday, 5 January 2013

UPS

Posted on 08:22 by Unknown
Too bad DHL didn't stay in business in Clinton County.  I think they would have been OK in the US market.  I think UPS is overwhelmed.

DHL's move to Clinton County turned out to be disasterous.  I think it did more harm than good but I didn't work there 25 years like Les did so I would have to ask him.  It's hard to believe when I drive by that multi billion dollar world airport sitting nearly empty.  There are so many out of work but DHL had trouble finding enough dependable people.  It's all a sign of a sick society.  UPS seems to be a different story.  I wonder why?

We order lots of things online so their truck is here almost every day, sometimes more than once.  Today I felt sorry for a new kid handed a truck with 150 packages and a county road map.  He asked where Mad River Road is and I said 7 miles to the east and told him how to get there.  Then he asked where McK road was and I said spell it.  McKibben Road, well that is 3 miles west of me.  He said he was time limited and I told him I wish I had time to ride with him, we would knock his load out.  He laughed.

This morning neighbor Neil called to ask for the Newman's phone number.  He wanted them to see the sandhill cranes migrating our way if they were interested.  I need to introduce them to each other, its been years and time just creeps away.  We don't even know our own neighbors.

I work pretty hard at it but I fail, too.  I really wanted to get know Harry Ertel(this is LuAnn's picture of his old windmill where we were just standing so she could take a picture of the sandhill cranes) where the Newman's now live.  I was so busy getting this farm in order I looked across the street one day and the yard was full of cars.  Harry had passed away.  I think it was 04 or 05.  Now my aunt Jane has passed and I haven't seen her since her 90th birthday party nearly a year ago.  I guess I am no better but it doesn't seem like a year ago.

We will go to the city for her services tomorrow and start another busy week.  I don't know how much I can get done before we leave for New Zealand and Australia but there are things I must do!  I must put a check in the hands of a new trucker and lime spreader I haven't used and a check in the hands of a fertilizer vendor.  I can't farm without those materials.

Yesterday a Don Effren called me out of the blue to tell me about his new remote control heliocopter that flies over your field by GPS and takes 4 different kinds of pictures you download after the flight and look at your crop from pictures from visual to UV to NGIV.  It looks very promising to me.  I try to send the files that crept through the Frontier server and remind myself I must get on Road Runner cable.  It's lying outside our frontroom window.

I come up with this new idea of what it feels like in my corn field all season.  I name it Living In Your Fields and I envision camping in a tent with Liam and Corbin and taking temperatures of crop canopy, soil, BRIX readings, all kinds of informational things.  Smelling and touching and feeling and experiencing what a plant does though I am not a plant.  I am the steward of that plant.

Pretty crazy, isn't it?

Ed
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • So God Made An Ag Teacher
    "If God made a farmer, it couldn’t have been too long after that he realized he needed an Ag Teacher. He must have realized that he nee...
  • The Art Of Soil Sampling
    After this week of study, I thought about all the soil testing I have done and all I need to do.  I am going to compare the results of the M...
  • Insecticide, Bees and Trees
    A group of farmers are talking about a problem in the Cafe.  "Rent two farms from a a guy who owns a commercial apiary. He has requeste...
  • Sign of the Heart
    A neighbor and I were talking last week and he told me about mowing Canada Thistle in the sign of the heart and the weeds dying.  I looked i...
  • Sainfoin (Onobrychis viciifolia) - Healthy or Holy
    Ed's post about alfalfa just started a war on legumes! More seriously, it reminded me of how sainfoin was one of the predominant legume...
  • $106 Trillion
    Nearly half of our national debt is money that " just disappeared ."  Our national debt is around $17 trillion and 9 trillion is m...
  • Reversing farmer demographics
    Future Farmer of America Enrollment in ag schools has been up 28% since 2004 . While these new students are not all future farmers, there ar...
  • Two Good Men
    I need two good men today .  Anyone available?  All my part time help is busy doing other jobs.  Maybe 2 men and a truck are available. I ...
  • It's 2 AM Local Time
    And here I sit wide awake!  My biological clock is off by 4-5 hours.  It was worth it though.  I am using this special time of night to reme...
  • Wild Crop Cousins
    " Wild cousins of 32 crops including wheat and sugarcane could add as much in $196 billion of value at the farm-gate level by boosting...

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (257)
    • ►  September (20)
    • ►  August (31)
    • ►  July (31)
    • ►  June (30)
    • ►  May (31)
    • ►  April (29)
    • ►  March (30)
    • ►  February (23)
    • ▼  January (32)
      • Travel II
      • Sainfoin (Onobrychis viciifolia) - Healthy or Holy
      • The Origin, Distribution and Naming of Alfalfa
      • Awesome Radish
      • Alfalfa Part II
      • Farmer: Independent entrepreneur or Big Ag employee?
      • 689YKY
      • Scouting Corn South Island
      • 'Messing' with biotech the right way
      • Arrival New Zealand
      • 15 Billions 2012 Crop Insurance
      • Gypsum
      • Do-nothing farming
      • We Can Do Better, Farmers!
      • Herman Warsaw
      • Details
      • The Old Wood Stove
      • Dogs DO Eat Avocado!
      • CSI Agronomy
      • Prayer
      • Dr. Jerry Hatfield
      • Stuctured Water
      • Harry, Henry and Floyd
      • Day 1
      • Travel
      • Death and Tractors
      • Charity and Humility
      • UPS
      • NNTC
      • A Deer Hit My Car!
      • Early
      • Thanks
  • ►  2012 (43)
    • ►  December (31)
    • ►  November (12)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile