HyMarkHigh

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Sunday, 27 January 2013

Alfalfa Part II

Posted on 15:43 by Unknown
The Dutch and British settlers also brought alfalfa to the New World along the trade routes to South Africa where it has been successfully used as a forage for the thriving ostrich industry.  It success in the eastern US has remained limited.

In western US the Chilean types were predominant, often called California or Arizona Common varieties.  The types spread eastwards.  In the mid 1800's, the typical German immigrant introduced a type that later to be named Grimm after him.  This type was an Medicago media, so naturally winter hardy after years of selection in the very cold climate of Minnesota.  It allowed alfalfa to be used in the cattle ranches of the norther plains.  This and later selections finally enabled the crop to establish itself throughout North America, from the East Coast to upper Canada in the late 1800's.

Until the the 1950's, most varieties were either variants of the Chilean common types or Grimm variegated, M. media.  use of such public or improved varieties has since decreased dramatically.  In the US, one can generalize by stating that by the 1950's, 80% of the varieties were unimproved and only 20% public now remains.  The Waterman-Loomis Company played a major role in the development of proprietary varieties.  In many countries around the world, a similar shift from publics can be seen, proving the value of improved quality forage products.

This ends one lecture by Dr. Paul Henderlong, my Ohio State University Forages 412 class I took back in 1969.  I hope you have enjoyed it.  We never produced much alfalfa on our farm because Timothy and clovers were so much better adapted and required less management.  Good alfalfa is difficult to grow in humid and normally wet Ohio.  I admire the farmers who grow good alfalfa here because it is no easy task.

We studied everything compared to Vernal variety which was the comparison standard in those days.  I think dad had a stand that lasted 17 years but we can raise 200 bushel corn on that field very easily today.  I remember Cimarron coming and going and many Pioneer and other varieties.

When I was the county agent guy, I read the Haymaker quarterly public publication out of Fresno, California.  Dr. Gary Lacefield was the expert to go to from the University of Kentucky in those days

LuAnn and I still love the color, smell and texture of fresh cut alfalfa.  No wonder livestock like it so well.

Ed.

Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • So God Made An Ag Teacher
    "If God made a farmer, it couldn’t have been too long after that he realized he needed an Ag Teacher. He must have realized that he nee...
  • The Art Of Soil Sampling
    After this week of study, I thought about all the soil testing I have done and all I need to do.  I am going to compare the results of the M...
  • Insecticide, Bees and Trees
    A group of farmers are talking about a problem in the Cafe.  "Rent two farms from a a guy who owns a commercial apiary. He has requeste...
  • Sign of the Heart
    A neighbor and I were talking last week and he told me about mowing Canada Thistle in the sign of the heart and the weeds dying.  I looked i...
  • Sainfoin (Onobrychis viciifolia) - Healthy or Holy
    Ed's post about alfalfa just started a war on legumes! More seriously, it reminded me of how sainfoin was one of the predominant legume...
  • $106 Trillion
    Nearly half of our national debt is money that " just disappeared ."  Our national debt is around $17 trillion and 9 trillion is m...
  • Reversing farmer demographics
    Future Farmer of America Enrollment in ag schools has been up 28% since 2004 . While these new students are not all future farmers, there ar...
  • Two Good Men
    I need two good men today .  Anyone available?  All my part time help is busy doing other jobs.  Maybe 2 men and a truck are available. I ...
  • It's 2 AM Local Time
    And here I sit wide awake!  My biological clock is off by 4-5 hours.  It was worth it though.  I am using this special time of night to reme...
  • Wild Crop Cousins
    " Wild cousins of 32 crops including wheat and sugarcane could add as much in $196 billion of value at the farm-gate level by boosting...

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (257)
    • ►  September (20)
    • ►  August (31)
    • ►  July (31)
    • ►  June (30)
    • ►  May (31)
    • ►  April (29)
    • ►  March (30)
    • ►  February (23)
    • ▼  January (32)
      • Travel II
      • Sainfoin (Onobrychis viciifolia) - Healthy or Holy
      • The Origin, Distribution and Naming of Alfalfa
      • Awesome Radish
      • Alfalfa Part II
      • Farmer: Independent entrepreneur or Big Ag employee?
      • 689YKY
      • Scouting Corn South Island
      • 'Messing' with biotech the right way
      • Arrival New Zealand
      • 15 Billions 2012 Crop Insurance
      • Gypsum
      • Do-nothing farming
      • We Can Do Better, Farmers!
      • Herman Warsaw
      • Details
      • The Old Wood Stove
      • Dogs DO Eat Avocado!
      • CSI Agronomy
      • Prayer
      • Dr. Jerry Hatfield
      • Stuctured Water
      • Harry, Henry and Floyd
      • Day 1
      • Travel
      • Death and Tractors
      • Charity and Humility
      • UPS
      • NNTC
      • A Deer Hit My Car!
      • Early
      • Thanks
  • ►  2012 (43)
    • ►  December (31)
    • ►  November (12)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile