HyMarkHigh

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Monday, 1 July 2013

Geocache

Posted on 04:36 by Unknown
Lots of visitors are at our farm and the 32 or so Quilt Barn Trail Geocaching hunt here in Clinton County Ohio this weekend.  We have met very nice people already!  One visitor said we were the first family to come out and greet him and he is half done!  People are busy and I understand why some would not greet the visitors, they just don't have time to.  I take the time to do it.

I like to visit and welcome people and I like to talk about modern farming and my German Dutch Scotch Irish heritage.  It's been fun.

I also like to buy local and I like to see small business and small farms do well.  This is a good way to build business for many of our various types of farm markets in Clinton County.

I asked the first lady here what she was using to find the geo referenced points and she showed me a $550 receiver with maps and all kinds of capability!  See what happens when you sign up for a simple project?

The group had breakfast at Frisch's then met at the fairgrounds to launch the hunt.  250 tokens were handed out and some of the people I talked to here only had a couple more barns to visit and they would have all 32 tokens.

The farthest away person I met was from Massillon, Ohio, the home of football in America.  That's a good 4 hour drive from here so obviously the project brought people into Clinton County.  I asked one fellow here he was from and he said Cedarville.  I said my brother lives on Gravel Pit Road.  He said I live right around the corner from him on Trumbull.

I would love to do something like this in Iowa and get to see some of the covered bridges.  Or maybe a Dutch heritage tour in Pennsylvania, though we have been in almost every Pa county over the last 8 years.  We don't have to look for Amish in Pennsylvania because their sons and daughters moved to Ohio!

I wonder what the economic impact is for our county on this little project?

Ed Winkle
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • So God Made An Ag Teacher
    "If God made a farmer, it couldn’t have been too long after that he realized he needed an Ag Teacher. He must have realized that he nee...
  • The Art Of Soil Sampling
    After this week of study, I thought about all the soil testing I have done and all I need to do.  I am going to compare the results of the M...
  • Insecticide, Bees and Trees
    A group of farmers are talking about a problem in the Cafe.  "Rent two farms from a a guy who owns a commercial apiary. He has requeste...
  • Sign of the Heart
    A neighbor and I were talking last week and he told me about mowing Canada Thistle in the sign of the heart and the weeds dying.  I looked i...
  • Sainfoin (Onobrychis viciifolia) - Healthy or Holy
    Ed's post about alfalfa just started a war on legumes! More seriously, it reminded me of how sainfoin was one of the predominant legume...
  • $106 Trillion
    Nearly half of our national debt is money that " just disappeared ."  Our national debt is around $17 trillion and 9 trillion is m...
  • Reversing farmer demographics
    Future Farmer of America Enrollment in ag schools has been up 28% since 2004 . While these new students are not all future farmers, there ar...
  • Two Good Men
    I need two good men today .  Anyone available?  All my part time help is busy doing other jobs.  Maybe 2 men and a truck are available. I ...
  • It's 2 AM Local Time
    And here I sit wide awake!  My biological clock is off by 4-5 hours.  It was worth it though.  I am using this special time of night to reme...
  • Wild Crop Cousins
    " Wild cousins of 32 crops including wheat and sugarcane could add as much in $196 billion of value at the farm-gate level by boosting...

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (257)
    • ►  September (20)
    • ►  August (31)
    • ▼  July (31)
      • Sign of the Heart
      • Scouting
      • Support Your County Fair
      • Weed Killers and Depression
      • Souped Up Farm Tractors
      • Wild Crop Cousins
      • Organic Religion
      • Sick Corn
      • Discover the Cover
      • Critical Stage
      • Your Favorite Blog Of Mine?
      • 130 MPH Lawn Mower
      • Four Friends
      • Farm Kings
      • My Farmer Father
      • Test That SAP!
      • When The Wind Blows
      • Catch Me!
      • Fertilizer
      • Who Will Farm?
      • Flattened Corn
      • So God Made An Ag Teacher
      • 2013
      • Refuge Corn Twice As Tall
      • Too Hard To Watch
      • Fracking
      • Wildlife
      • Nine Month Baby
      • Fall Applied Nitrogen
      • 98 Years
      • Geocache
    • ►  June (30)
    • ►  May (31)
    • ►  April (29)
    • ►  March (30)
    • ►  February (23)
    • ►  January (32)
  • ►  2012 (43)
    • ►  December (31)
    • ►  November (12)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile