HyMarkHigh

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Monday, 22 July 2013

Critical Stage

Posted on 04:50 by Unknown
Corn is entering the most critical stage of its development across the country.  That is the 4 weeks after tasseling.

"Reproductive Stage


Silking:  Silks visible outside the husks. This the most critical stage in the development of the corn plant.

It takes 24 hours for pollen grain to grow down the silk and fertilize the egg. Generally 2 to 3 days is required for all silks to be fertilized on a single ear.

Number of eggs that are successfully fertilized will determine the number of kernels that develop on the ear.

Corn earworm moths may be laying eggs on silk."

The number of kernals around the cob and the length of the cob have been determined.  I would venture to say this has been maximized in southern Ohio.  I've said since planting, this has been a real corn growing year.  If a farmer broke rotation and planted everything to corn this year, he would be a happy camper here regardless of price.  Scratch that, we want our cake and eat it too, price is important to pay the bills regardless of yield.  Remember $2 corn?  It wasn't that long ago!

One of the corn exhibits yesterday had tremendous stalks and brace roots.  The others did not.  I wonder what was different on those stalks?

How is corn looking in your neighborhood?  Is it a corn growing year where you live, too, or is it "not so hot?"  Most of the corn you've sent me pictures of looks pretty good.  But how good is it?  What is it lacking?  How will it take the disease pressure and weather it gets before harvest?

There are a lot of unaswered questions yet on this 2013 crop but right at this point in time, Ohio farmers feel pretty good about it.

Ed Winkle
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • So God Made An Ag Teacher
    "If God made a farmer, it couldn’t have been too long after that he realized he needed an Ag Teacher. He must have realized that he nee...
  • The Art Of Soil Sampling
    After this week of study, I thought about all the soil testing I have done and all I need to do.  I am going to compare the results of the M...
  • Insecticide, Bees and Trees
    A group of farmers are talking about a problem in the Cafe.  "Rent two farms from a a guy who owns a commercial apiary. He has requeste...
  • Sign of the Heart
    A neighbor and I were talking last week and he told me about mowing Canada Thistle in the sign of the heart and the weeds dying.  I looked i...
  • Sainfoin (Onobrychis viciifolia) - Healthy or Holy
    Ed's post about alfalfa just started a war on legumes! More seriously, it reminded me of how sainfoin was one of the predominant legume...
  • $106 Trillion
    Nearly half of our national debt is money that " just disappeared ."  Our national debt is around $17 trillion and 9 trillion is m...
  • Reversing farmer demographics
    Future Farmer of America Enrollment in ag schools has been up 28% since 2004 . While these new students are not all future farmers, there ar...
  • Two Good Men
    I need two good men today .  Anyone available?  All my part time help is busy doing other jobs.  Maybe 2 men and a truck are available. I ...
  • It's 2 AM Local Time
    And here I sit wide awake!  My biological clock is off by 4-5 hours.  It was worth it though.  I am using this special time of night to reme...
  • Wild Crop Cousins
    " Wild cousins of 32 crops including wheat and sugarcane could add as much in $196 billion of value at the farm-gate level by boosting...

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (257)
    • ►  September (20)
    • ►  August (31)
    • ▼  July (31)
      • Sign of the Heart
      • Scouting
      • Support Your County Fair
      • Weed Killers and Depression
      • Souped Up Farm Tractors
      • Wild Crop Cousins
      • Organic Religion
      • Sick Corn
      • Discover the Cover
      • Critical Stage
      • Your Favorite Blog Of Mine?
      • 130 MPH Lawn Mower
      • Four Friends
      • Farm Kings
      • My Farmer Father
      • Test That SAP!
      • When The Wind Blows
      • Catch Me!
      • Fertilizer
      • Who Will Farm?
      • Flattened Corn
      • So God Made An Ag Teacher
      • 2013
      • Refuge Corn Twice As Tall
      • Too Hard To Watch
      • Fracking
      • Wildlife
      • Nine Month Baby
      • Fall Applied Nitrogen
      • 98 Years
      • Geocache
    • ►  June (30)
    • ►  May (31)
    • ►  April (29)
    • ►  March (30)
    • ►  February (23)
    • ►  January (32)
  • ►  2012 (43)
    • ►  December (31)
    • ►  November (12)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile