HyMarkHigh

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Sunday, 28 July 2013

Weed Killers and Depression

Posted on 04:32 by Unknown
This was posted in the Cafe.  "NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Farmers who used weedkillers were more than twice as likely to be treated for depression than farmers who didn't use the chemicals in a new study from France.

Whether the weedkillers are causing depression "is not clear," said Marc Weisskopf, the studys lead author and an associate professor at the Harvard School of Public Health. "But (the result) suggests we should not be ignoring herbicides just because they're targeting plants."

Earlier research on depression and pesticides has focused on insecticides, particularly organophosphates, which are known to be toxic to nerve cells, said Weisskopf.

Monocrotophos, the insecticide that killed 23 school children in India this month, is an organophosphate, for example.

The use of pesticides has also been linked to Parkinson's disease among farmers.  As part of a study on Parkinson's disease, Weisskopf and his colleagues assessed the risks for depression with exposure to any kind of pesticide by surveying 567 French farmers about their use of fungicides, insecticides and herbicides."

I do have friends who don't spray their own crops because when they sprayed their own, they felt some pesticides compromised their health.  I've taught pesticide eduation since 1987 and the main thing you learn is how the label varies from product to product.  RTB as Richard Young says, or Read The Book.  The pesticide label is usually a million dollar investment or more of the company registering a pesticide with the EPA.

As a Commercial Pesticide Applicator in Ohio, I spend a lot of time reading pesticide labels.  I just put a heavy dose of Classic herbicide from DuPont on our double crop soybeans.  This was after spreading a ton and a half of Eagle high calcium lime in April.  I am more concerned about carryover of the herbicide to corn next year than I am of depression in myself.  The weeds are dying nicely this morning.

What do you think the worst health risk is on your farm?  Pesticides?  Your grain or hay storage?  Farm machinery?

We are looking at a record low of 54 degrees F. for the Cincinnati area tonight.

Have a blessed Sunday,

Ed Winkle



Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • So God Made An Ag Teacher
    "If God made a farmer, it couldn’t have been too long after that he realized he needed an Ag Teacher. He must have realized that he nee...
  • The Art Of Soil Sampling
    After this week of study, I thought about all the soil testing I have done and all I need to do.  I am going to compare the results of the M...
  • Insecticide, Bees and Trees
    A group of farmers are talking about a problem in the Cafe.  "Rent two farms from a a guy who owns a commercial apiary. He has requeste...
  • Sign of the Heart
    A neighbor and I were talking last week and he told me about mowing Canada Thistle in the sign of the heart and the weeds dying.  I looked i...
  • Calcium Nitrate
    I am getting tons of questions on calcium nitrate and structured water.  Today we will focus on calcium nitrate. " Calcium nitrate , al...
  • China Buys Smitfield
    "(Reuters) - China's Shuanghui International plans to buy Smithfield Foods Inc (SFD.N) for $4.7 billion to feed a growing Chinese ...
  • Sainfoin (Onobrychis viciifolia) - Healthy or Holy
    Ed's post about alfalfa just started a war on legumes! More seriously, it reminded me of how sainfoin was one of the predominant legume...
  • Reversing farmer demographics
    Future Farmer of America Enrollment in ag schools has been up 28% since 2004 . While these new students are not all future farmers, there ar...
  • Questions
    It's getting late to start planting and farmers have questions .  This the best notill corn crop I ever grew but I have had others that...
  • 98 Years
    Our dad was born 98 years ago today!  That seems like a " long, long time ago, but I can still remember" 50 years ago like it was ...

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (257)
    • ►  September (20)
    • ►  August (31)
    • ▼  July (31)
      • Sign of the Heart
      • Scouting
      • Support Your County Fair
      • Weed Killers and Depression
      • Souped Up Farm Tractors
      • Wild Crop Cousins
      • Organic Religion
      • Sick Corn
      • Discover the Cover
      • Critical Stage
      • Your Favorite Blog Of Mine?
      • 130 MPH Lawn Mower
      • Four Friends
      • Farm Kings
      • My Farmer Father
      • Test That SAP!
      • When The Wind Blows
      • Catch Me!
      • Fertilizer
      • Who Will Farm?
      • Flattened Corn
      • So God Made An Ag Teacher
      • 2013
      • Refuge Corn Twice As Tall
      • Too Hard To Watch
      • Fracking
      • Wildlife
      • Nine Month Baby
      • Fall Applied Nitrogen
      • 98 Years
      • Geocache
    • ►  June (30)
    • ►  May (31)
    • ►  April (29)
    • ►  March (30)
    • ►  February (23)
    • ►  January (32)
  • ►  2012 (43)
    • ►  December (31)
    • ►  November (12)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile