HyMarkHigh

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Wednesday, 18 September 2013

Ag Research?

Posted on 04:02 by Unknown
"Investments in agricultural research has a high return on investment and is necessary for a solution to feeding a growing world population on limited resources, so why is Farm Bill funding for R&D shrinking?
Julian Alston, agricultural and resource economics professor at the University of California-Davis, spoke about the challenge to provide safe, affordable food for a world population expected to reach 8.9 billion by 2050 during the 2013 Congressional Assistants Tour, hosted by K-State Research and Extension Aug. 29-30.
While the growing population expectation is a primary concern for producers, Alston raised additional concerns of competing demands for land and water, competing demands with biofuels, a changing climate, and co-evolving pests and diseases.
The good news is agriculture has been profitable enough the last ten years that research has perked up a bit again.  I saw that yesterday at Farm Science Review but there has been a shift from public research to private research.

The first big knock in ag research in Ohio was the closing of the corn breeding program.  Ohio had inbreds no one else had.  The second big knock was when the REAL soil testing lab was closed down and let go to private competition.

How is your state or country doing in agricultural research?  Or should I ask what at all are they doing?  It isn't much in many states and countries.

Who is number one in public agricultural investment?

Ed Winkle
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • So God Made An Ag Teacher
    "If God made a farmer, it couldn’t have been too long after that he realized he needed an Ag Teacher. He must have realized that he nee...
  • The Art Of Soil Sampling
    After this week of study, I thought about all the soil testing I have done and all I need to do.  I am going to compare the results of the M...
  • Insecticide, Bees and Trees
    A group of farmers are talking about a problem in the Cafe.  "Rent two farms from a a guy who owns a commercial apiary. He has requeste...
  • Sign of the Heart
    A neighbor and I were talking last week and he told me about mowing Canada Thistle in the sign of the heart and the weeds dying.  I looked i...
  • Calcium Nitrate
    I am getting tons of questions on calcium nitrate and structured water.  Today we will focus on calcium nitrate. " Calcium nitrate , al...
  • China Buys Smitfield
    "(Reuters) - China's Shuanghui International plans to buy Smithfield Foods Inc (SFD.N) for $4.7 billion to feed a growing Chinese ...
  • Sainfoin (Onobrychis viciifolia) - Healthy or Holy
    Ed's post about alfalfa just started a war on legumes! More seriously, it reminded me of how sainfoin was one of the predominant legume...
  • Reversing farmer demographics
    Future Farmer of America Enrollment in ag schools has been up 28% since 2004 . While these new students are not all future farmers, there ar...
  • Questions
    It's getting late to start planting and farmers have questions .  This the best notill corn crop I ever grew but I have had others that...
  • 98 Years
    Our dad was born 98 years ago today!  That seems like a " long, long time ago, but I can still remember" 50 years ago like it was ...

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (257)
    • ▼  September (20)
      • Field Day Frenzy
      • Iowa
      • Ag Research?
      • What Man Can Do
      • Eight Foods
      • The Scarecrow
      • Ship Soybeans By Air?
      • No More Sidedress?
      • Top Five
      • Ed Winkle Soil
      • Really Turning Now
      • Non GMO Feed Demand Soaring
      • Sampson County North Carolina
      • Alternate crops
      • Final Plans
      • 600 Miles Of No Corn
      • Beautiful Weather
      • Labor Day Weekend
      • The Switch Has Turned
      • The Farm People Are Coming!
    • ►  August (31)
    • ►  July (31)
    • ►  June (30)
    • ►  May (31)
    • ►  April (29)
    • ►  March (30)
    • ►  February (23)
    • ►  January (32)
  • ►  2012 (43)
    • ►  December (31)
    • ►  November (12)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile