HyMarkHigh

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Monday, 10 December 2012

Riverside, Iowa

Posted on 09:19 by Unknown
You should really be here!  You really should!

If you know anything about Ed Winkle or HyMark High Spots you know he likes to farm.  You also know he has a passion for farming and knowledge that takes him all over the world.  Why does he have to drive 500 miles to get someone who "speaks his language?"

This week I am in Riverside, Iowa at FHR Farms Farm to Plate Seminar.  I really wish you were all here but there are some of you I have had deep conversations with that I REALLY wish you were here!

Now think about this, Dr. Arden Andersen is in the middle of his talk about good food from good soil and mentions Brix level and Creation and I am wondering what the Brix level was in those apples Adam and Eve ate?

Let's get serious.  I am here to learn how to grow better crops.  I love to speak with my fields.  When my neighbor put on Facebook I had the most outstanding corn she had seen, I smiled with joy.  That is better than winning the Lottery.    After about an hour of this 3 day class crammed into 2 days, I am thinking I wish I was 40 again or at least 50.  This seminar could add a million to our bank account and 10 years to our lives.

That corn in the picture has a few weeds.  The spacing of the stand is off because that is where I took off with the planter but that corn has a Brix level of 8 and it made 190 bu where 150 bu corn grows.

Basically I have studied this stuff all my life.  Every once in awhile I need a real swift kick in the seat of the pants like Toby Keith sings about.  I have enjoyed so many season, I am running out of them.  This marked the 50th year since I planted my first field of corn in the 8th grade.

Take home points to Ed:
Get more calcium on
Send those soil tests you split and send the other half to Perry Labs, Morgan test
Ask Santa for a Reflectometer(yours never got returned)
Start Brixing everything again like you did in the 90's
Learn how to get them over 12
Spend the time and money and just do it
I have to figure out a way to physically get the spoon feeding on

Dr. Andersen and Is do share some likes.  We both like Iowa and we both like New Zealand and we are both going to be there at the same time.

Ed
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • So God Made An Ag Teacher
    "If God made a farmer, it couldn’t have been too long after that he realized he needed an Ag Teacher. He must have realized that he nee...
  • The Art Of Soil Sampling
    After this week of study, I thought about all the soil testing I have done and all I need to do.  I am going to compare the results of the M...
  • Insecticide, Bees and Trees
    A group of farmers are talking about a problem in the Cafe.  "Rent two farms from a a guy who owns a commercial apiary. He has requeste...
  • Sign of the Heart
    A neighbor and I were talking last week and he told me about mowing Canada Thistle in the sign of the heart and the weeds dying.  I looked i...
  • Sainfoin (Onobrychis viciifolia) - Healthy or Holy
    Ed's post about alfalfa just started a war on legumes! More seriously, it reminded me of how sainfoin was one of the predominant legume...
  • $106 Trillion
    Nearly half of our national debt is money that " just disappeared ."  Our national debt is around $17 trillion and 9 trillion is m...
  • Reversing farmer demographics
    Future Farmer of America Enrollment in ag schools has been up 28% since 2004 . While these new students are not all future farmers, there ar...
  • Two Good Men
    I need two good men today .  Anyone available?  All my part time help is busy doing other jobs.  Maybe 2 men and a truck are available. I ...
  • It's 2 AM Local Time
    And here I sit wide awake!  My biological clock is off by 4-5 hours.  It was worth it though.  I am using this special time of night to reme...
  • Wild Crop Cousins
    " Wild cousins of 32 crops including wheat and sugarcane could add as much in $196 billion of value at the farm-gate level by boosting...

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (257)
    • ►  September (20)
    • ►  August (31)
    • ►  July (31)
    • ►  June (30)
    • ►  May (31)
    • ►  April (29)
    • ►  March (30)
    • ►  February (23)
    • ►  January (32)
  • ▼  2012 (43)
    • ▼  December (31)
      • New Year's Eve
      • Holy Family
      • Quiet
      • Email
      • "7 Qualities Every Farmer Should Have"
      • On the Log
      • Merry Christmas!
      • How I Write My Blog
      • Farm Pics
      • Lack of Love
      • 100,000 BTU's
      • 36?
      • 63
      • Farm History?
      • Adapt-N
      • Soil Sampling In December?
      • Christmas Took A Hit
      • The Art Of Soil Sampling
      • SAP Test(revised)
      • So Much!
      • Day 2
      • Riverside, Iowa
      • God Parenting
      • Cut, Burlapped or Artificial?
      • Wet Spell
      • Inoculating Soybeans
      • World Soil Day
      • The Log Cabin
      • Wheat December 2012
      • Gully
      • December Auction
    • ►  November (12)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile