HyMarkHigh

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Sunday, 25 November 2012

Land Bid

Posted on 10:11 by Unknown
I started playing with the Land Bid calculator before bed last night.  I see I could have paid more than we did for the farm we bought last week.  That's good, I am within my safety zone.

It worked just like it did 25 years ago.  I remembered sitting down with farmers in the extension office and grinding out numbers from "what if?" questions.  I also remembered really discussing and analyzing the terms learned in my agricultural economics classes at Ohio State.  I remembered Professors Warren Lee, Himes and McCormick!

The eleven factors LANDBID ask for are:

1. Price of recent sales is a reasonable estimate of the fair market value of comparable quality farmland in the surrounding area. The model uses this value as the base for the future growth in land value, depending on the rate specified in factor 10 below.

2. Opportunity cost is the annual, after-tax rate of return you can receive on your equity in an alternate investment of comparable risk. A good benchmark for the minimum rate is the after-tax interest rate on a first mortgage loan plus a risk premium.

3. Planning horizon is the number of years into the future for which cash flow projections are desired. Typically, 10 to 30 years is used for long range forecasting. This value must be 30 years or less.

4. Net income is the anticipated annual net return per acre. It equals gross income less all fixed and variable expenses except land debt servicing expenses. The going cash rental rate minus property tax and other ownership costs is also a good estimate of net income.

5. Marginal tax rate is the rate at which the next dollar of net income will be taxed, including federal, state, and social security taxes. Consult IRS and Ohio income tax tables for current rates.

6. Growth in income is the average annual rate at which you expect net income to grow over the entire planning horizon.

7. Proportion paid down equals the down payment as a percent of the land purchase price.

8. Mortgage interest is the effective interest rate you will be paying the lender.  Include the effects of closing costs, appraisal fees, stock, etc… on the effective cost of funds.

9. Loan amortization period is the number of years that it will take to repay the loan.

Standard terms are between 15 to 30 years. If the loan amortization period exceeds the planning horizon, the outstanding balance of the loan is repaid when the land is sold. This value must be 30 years or less.

10. Land inflation is the average annual rate at which you expect the land value to increase.

11. Capital gains tax rate is the rate at which any gain in value will be taxed upon the sale of the land.

Take some time and think these over.  If there are any you would like to discuss, let me know.  We could debate the future all day but we have to come to some agreement and conclusion before bidding on land.

One thing not to forget is soil test the farm before bidding!  This is often hard to do but will give you a much better idea on the productivity of the farm and what you will need in expenses to meet your goals.

We will discuss soil test results again soon in a future blog.  What's these woods worth to a grain farmer?

Blessings,

Ed Winkle
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • So God Made An Ag Teacher
    "If God made a farmer, it couldn’t have been too long after that he realized he needed an Ag Teacher. He must have realized that he nee...
  • The Art Of Soil Sampling
    After this week of study, I thought about all the soil testing I have done and all I need to do.  I am going to compare the results of the M...
  • Insecticide, Bees and Trees
    A group of farmers are talking about a problem in the Cafe.  "Rent two farms from a a guy who owns a commercial apiary. He has requeste...
  • Sign of the Heart
    A neighbor and I were talking last week and he told me about mowing Canada Thistle in the sign of the heart and the weeds dying.  I looked i...
  • Sainfoin (Onobrychis viciifolia) - Healthy or Holy
    Ed's post about alfalfa just started a war on legumes! More seriously, it reminded me of how sainfoin was one of the predominant legume...
  • $106 Trillion
    Nearly half of our national debt is money that " just disappeared ."  Our national debt is around $17 trillion and 9 trillion is m...
  • Reversing farmer demographics
    Future Farmer of America Enrollment in ag schools has been up 28% since 2004 . While these new students are not all future farmers, there ar...
  • Two Good Men
    I need two good men today .  Anyone available?  All my part time help is busy doing other jobs.  Maybe 2 men and a truck are available. I ...
  • It's 2 AM Local Time
    And here I sit wide awake!  My biological clock is off by 4-5 hours.  It was worth it though.  I am using this special time of night to reme...
  • Wild Crop Cousins
    " Wild cousins of 32 crops including wheat and sugarcane could add as much in $196 billion of value at the farm-gate level by boosting...

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (257)
    • ►  September (20)
    • ►  August (31)
    • ►  July (31)
    • ►  June (30)
    • ►  May (31)
    • ►  April (29)
    • ►  March (30)
    • ►  February (23)
    • ►  January (32)
  • ▼  2012 (43)
    • ►  December (31)
    • ▼  November (12)
      • The Permafrost Is Melting
      • Hot Cider And Firewood
      • Organic Matter
      • Land Capability Classes
      • Diner, Not Designer
      • Land Bid
      • Making A Farm Cash Flow
      • What Is Your Motivation To Buy Land?
      • 1977
      • 100 Today
      • Two Good Men
      • Blessings
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile